Chauncey Delos Beadle

  • Harry Beadle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2014

      This is from the ASK US page of the ASA website, so please send me a CC.

      I am of the same family – though not a direct descendant – of Chauncey Delos Beadle who, as I’m sure you know, until his death in 1950 was manager of the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, and a recognized authority on azaleas.

      My question is:  while I realize there is a long list of azaleas Chauncey Beadle is credited with discovering and naming … is there one which is known to have been his favorite or which was named in his honor?

      My wife and I are azalea lovers and want to include it in our garden.

      Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

      All the best,

      Harry Beadle

      harrybeadle@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2014
        Hi Harry,

        I don't know if someone here will have an answer for you, but it occurs to me that you might ask the folks at Biltmore Estate.  Someone there may have specific knowledge or they may have useful documentation.

        Referring to the International Rhododendron Register and Checklist (IRRC), there is a deciduous azalea named 'Chauncey Beadle'.  It was named by Biltmore Gardens in 1955.  Flowers deep pink with a yellow blotch.  (Natural hybrid found in Biltmore Gardens (USA))  It gives the following formula:

        arborescens (as  var. richardsonii) X calendulaceum

        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland
        www.theazaleaworks.com

        On 6/18/2014 11:15 AM, 'Harry Beadle' harrybeadle@... [azaleas] wrote:

        This is from the ASK US page of the ASA website, so please send me a CC.

        I am of the same family – though not a direct descendant – of Chauncey Delos Beadle who, as I’m sure you know, until his death in 1950 was manager of the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, and a recognized authority on azaleas.

        My question is:  while I realize there is a long list of azaleas Chauncey Beadle is credited with discovering and naming … is there one which is known to have been his favorite or which was named in his honor?

        My wife and I are azalea lovers and want to include it in our garden.

        Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

        All the best,

        Harry Beadle

        harrybeadle@...

      • Chris Wetmore
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2014
          Harry,

          I am sure other places have but see link below. I have also read about Chauncey and the other "azalea hunters". Sounds like they had fun. You should consider joining the Azalea Society. Depending on where you live there may be a local chapter. Great way to get azaleas not commercially available.

          Chris
          Maiden, NC

          Sent from my iPhone

          [azaleas] wrote:

          This is from the ASK US page of the ASA website, so please send me a CC.

          I am of the same family – though not a direct descendant – of Chauncey Delos Beadle who, as I’m sure you know, until his death in 1950 was manager of the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, and a recognized authority on azaleas.

          My question is:  while I realize there is a long list of azaleas Chauncey Beadle is credited with discovering and naming … is there one which is known to have been his favorite or which was named in his honor?

          My wife and I are azalea lovers and want to include it in our garden.

          Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

          All the best,

          Harry Beadle

          harrybeadle@...

        • Ron Rabideau
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2014
            Harry,
            We carry this azalea and think very highly of it. Blooms late(Mid June in
            central NJ) when most others have finished. I would call it medium pink
            rather than deep pink. It is a low, dense grower that forms a mound.

            http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.php/r-azalea-deciduous-chauncey-beadle.html

            Ron Rabideau

            --
            Ron Rabideau
            Camden, NJ
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2014
              I am pretty sure that I grow either this plant or a sister seedling of it, acquired from the old WeDu Nursery when Dennis Niemeyer was there.  My plant is blooming right now, very low, beautiful foliage but the flower color varies, 3 different but related colors each season, even a solid yellow.  It was supposed to be White Find vaseyii when I planted it, so the little mounding plant is growing at the feet of three tall vaseyii azaleas.  It is apparently an arborescens x cumberland hybrid, foliage of arborescens and a little fragrance.  I can post photos of it in this string.  I wish I grew the Richardsonii form of arborescens. It is missing in my collection.

              --
              Ron Rabideau
              Camden, NJ

              ------------------------------------

              When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

              We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)