RE: [AZ] Bald?

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
      Larry,
      Usually when we refer to a mountain top bald, we are talking about a location with few if any trees and is covered with grass. Wayah Bald does not exactly fit the description, but Gregory Bald does, where cattle were once summer grazed many years ago. Brass Town Bald in North Georgia and Parsson's Bald also fit. Much of Roane Mountain would also fit the description.

      I do know from where bald comes from in we humans, for I was lucky and did not inherit the pattern from my father or from my mother's side where all her brothers and her father were bald, like a billiard ball.

      Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
        In the Appalachian Mountains there are mountaintops that are not covered
        with trees, but instead are covered in grasses and low shrubs - low
        being a relative term.

        There are dozens of high elevation "balds" in the Southern Appalachians.
        In the Smokies, as well as other areas, farmers would drive their
        livestock to the highest balds in the summer. This grazing would keep
        many of the balds free of trees. Today, maintenance of the balds is
        sometimes the only reason that some of these balds still exist. There
        are a number of groups who will help maintain the balds and "fight" to
        keep an invading army of plants taking them over.

        Researchers have looked for evidence of bald creation through burning,
        grazing, climatic factors related to the Wisconsin glaciation, impacts
        of Native Americans and colonial settlers, and effects of mega-fauna
        during the last ice age. The origin of balds remains a mystery, and
        balds management issues are continually debated.

        Unlike Heath Balds which are dominated by shrubs (mostly of the
        Rhododendron family), Grassy Balds are devoid of woody plants and
        consist of various grass and sedge species. Located on high mountain
        summits, Grassy Balds are unique to the Southern Appalachians.

        Because of their uniqueness, along with limited acreage, Grassy Balds
        are considered Globally Rare by The Nature Conservancy. Several rare
        plant species, including Gray's Lily (Lilium grayi), can be found in
        Grassy balds.

        There are numerous theories on the origins of Grassy Balds, a subject
        which remains controversial and which will probably never be resolved.
        Equally contentious among scientists is what mechanism(s) maintained
        these balds, preventing them from converting into forests. Grassy Balds
        that are not managed will quickly be overtaken by blackberry and other
        woody species.

        It has been suggested that native large mammals, such as bison and elk,
        were responsible for maintaining these balds; later early settlers
        grazed the same sites with domesticated livestock. It has also been
        suggested that fire can play a critical role in the maintenance of
        Grassy Balds.

        Obviously, the ones that we find interesting are the Heath Balds.

        droyster

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Royster, David" <droyster@c...>
          wrote:
          > Unlike Heath Balds which are dominated by shrubs (mostly of the
          > Rhododendron family), Grassy Balds are devoid of woody plants and
          > consist of various grass and sedge species. Located on high
          mountain
          > summits, Grassy Balds are unique to the Southern Appalachians.

          David,
          A similar phenomenon exists on the coastal mountains of California.
          The tops (or large areas near the top) of many of the chaparral
          covered mountains are dominated by large open, grassy areas
          called "potreros" (Spanish for "pastures"). I don't know for sure,
          but I suspect that these areas owe their existence to past
          wildfires. Unfortunately, the potreros are too high and dry for
          western azaleas, but some of them (such as those on Figueroa Mtn.
          north of Santa Barbara) do have spectacular displays of poppies and
          other spring wildflowers in good years.
          Regards,
          Rich (zone 9b)
        • S. M. Henning
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
            "iltkyao" <iltkyao@...> wrote an excellent article on balds":

            >No one seems to know how balds were formed or why they persist. Most
            >natural areas evolve their vegetational composition over time, a
            >process called succession, leading to the ultimate climax community,
            >which would theoretically persist for a long time. At lower
            >elevations in the southern Appalachians, the climax forest would be
            >cove, oak-hickory, or pine forest; at the top of Mount Mitchell, the
            >climax forest is spruce-fir. Yet, on many of the Appalachians'
            >higher peaks are these open, heathlike or grassy bald areas that
            >have not been invaded by the surrounding forest species and have
            >apparently persisted in this state for thousands of years.

            The Great Smoky Mountains National Park has many before and after
            photos of how some of the balds were 19th century farms and orchards
            before the park was created in 1934. As the original owners passed
            away or moved, their farms were allowed to "return to nature". Then,
            to our delight, the farmland filled up with Azaleas. I have no idea
            if some were wooded before they were farms of if they were meadows
            and brush land. Also, they may have been formed by the practice of
            the settlers and native Americans to burn lands.
            --
            Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

          • Mary & Bill McDavit
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
              Joe Schild,

                  Now, all of us bald guys are going to think that we were just unlucky!!  I've often wondered what it was.

              Bill McDavit - Sunset Lakes, NC - Zone 8

              Subject: RE: [AZ] Bald?

              Larry,
              Usually when we refer to a mountain top bald, we are talking about a location with few if any trees and is covered with grass. Wayah Bald does not exactly fit the description, but Gregory Bald does, where cattle were once summer grazed many years ago. Brass Town Bald in North Georgia and Parsson's Bald also fit. Much of Roane Mountain would also fit the description.

              I do know from where bald comes from in we humans, for I was lucky and did not inherit the pattern from my father or from my mother's side where all her brothers and her father were bald, like a billiard ball.

              Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
              Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!

            • iffy123

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Interesting threads on BALD. Had not given the thought much effort before.
                  Thanks for another good read and awareness.
                  Barbara 8b