Maturity of R. oldhami "4th of July" azalea seed pods?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2013
      I have three evergreen R. oldhami "4th of July" azalea plants growing immediately next to my R. prunifolium "Early Plum."  This season both varieties bloomed at the same time in late June-early July plus, so I pollinated one cluster of oldhami flowers, which have formed seed pods.  And there are other seed pods open pollinated on the oldhami.

      R. oldhami "4th of July" is one parent of the Encore hybrids.

      have already harvested the open pollinated pods from the adjacent prunifolium, but not on the oldhamii.  Does anyone have photos of mature seed pods on an oldhamii azalea, aka 4th of July?

      I am thinking there are potentially some inter-species crosses here.  This is the best crop of seed pods I have seen on either plant.  I have never heard of a cross of oldhamii and prunifolium.  I don't want to pick the oldhamii seeds too early