Fwd: fall care of damage azaleas

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2013
      [ please send a CC of any reply to  lynn schultz <lynnmakesart@...> ]

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: lynn schultz <lynnmakesart@...>
      Subject: fall care of damage azaleas
      Date: October 29, 2013 11:02:11 AM EDT

      Hello!
      My yard loves azaleas, so I'm lucky. However this year I missed plucking the azalea caterpillers off certain bushes. I live in Raleigh, NC. The caterpillers always go for the same individuals and I'm usually on the lookout for them in August, but missed it this year. Will this affect the early spring 2014 blooming? Should I do something now in late October to boost the plants' health? Or just wait til next year and be diligent about picking them off in August?
           A related question: My mother just moved into a house (also in Raleigh) that has some small azaleas with lacebug damage on all the leaves. They appear to be one gallon bushes which were just stuck in some holes without loosening the roots or fixing the planting area correctly. Will they still bloom next spring? I'm planning to dig them all up in the next month or so and plant them correctly, but besides replanting them and controlling the lacebugs early next spring, is there anything I should do now in late October to boost their health and/or blooming?
          Thank you for any advice!
                                           Lynn