azalea hybrid group

  • Buddy Lee
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
      Greetings.  I am trying to remember the name of a hybrid group of azaleas, maybe someone can help.  I
      think the plant breeder frist name is Andy, lived in Maryland and/or work for the University of Maryland.
      One of his hybrids had the word Angel in the cultivar name.  He only name a few plants.  If I remember correctly
      most of his named hybrids were semi doubles or doubles flower forms. Any ideas??  Thanks
      buddy
    • Tom Schuetz
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
        Buddy, this may be way off the mark but it occurred to me that you might be searching for the Linwood Hardy Azaleas hybridized by Al Reid. No Angel that I know of in that group and he lived in New Jersey.

        Tom Schuetz
        USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
          Tom, Thanks.  No its not the Linwoods and Mr. Al Reid.  I think that I got the plants at one of the conventions in the D.C. area. I no longer have the original plants.

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
            Harry Weiskittel??
            Marshy Point Nursery
            Though I can't think of any of his plants with Angel in them. He did quite
            a few doubles, all very very nice. Probably didn't register very many.

            --
            Ron Rabideau
            Camden, NJ
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013

              Buddy,

              Could it be Angel’s Lace from Andy Whipple.  I don’t know if he lives in NJ.

              Leslie

              Tom, Thanks.  No its not the Linwoods and Mr. Al Reid.  I think that I got the plants at one of the conventions in the D.C. area. I no longer have the original plants.

              On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:11 AM, Tom Schuetz <schuetz101@...> wrote:

              Buddy, this may be way off the mark but it occurred to me that you might be searching for the Linwood Hardy Azaleas hybridized by Al Reid. No Angel that I know of in that group and he lived in New Jersey.

              Tom Schuetz

              mailto:schuetz101@...

              USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013

                  Buddy, Dave and Leslie, and all-

                  Bill Miller’s idea sounds much more likely.  The Angel Lace I have is one of Earl Sommerville’s plants, which is a deciduous azalea.  I’m at Taylor University, out in the corn country of east central Indiana.

                  Andy

                  Could it be Angel’s Lace from Andy Whipple.  I don’t know if he lives in NJ.

                  Leslie

                  Greetings.  I am trying to remember the name of a hybrid group of azaleas, maybe someone can help.  I

                  think the plant breeder frist name is Andy, lived in Maryland and/or work for the University of Maryland.

                  One of his hybrids had the word Angel in the cultivar name.  He only name a few plants.  If I remember correctly

                  most of his named hybrids were semi doubles or doubles flower forms. Any ideas??  Thanks

                  buddy

                  The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the sender of this email, and then delete it from your system. Taylor University is not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
                    Buddy,

                    Then there is George Switzer, Cavalier Nursery, Port Republic, Maryland, introduced and registered 'Nannie Angell' in 1992.  It's a white with narrow, strap-like petals.

                    A picture of 'Nannie Angell' is on the cover of THE AZALEAN, Vol. 14, No. 3, September 1992.

                    Bill

                    Buddy Lee wrote:

                    Greetings.  I am trying to remember the name of a hybrid group of azaleas, maybe someone can help.  I
                    think the plant breeder frist name is Andy, lived in Maryland and/or work for the University of Maryland.
                    One of his hybrids had the word Angel in the cultivar name.  He only name a few plants.  If I remember correctly
                    most of his named hybrids were semi doubles or doubles flower forms. Any ideas??  Thanks
                    buddy

                  • Earl Sommerville
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013

                      Buddy,

                      Try and see if you can find any thing on Hager Nurseries, He had a big list of azaleas back in the eighties; He pass on about 20 years ago. His list was on the Azalea Chapter web site but I could not find it this morning.

                      Earl Sommerville

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
                        Bill Miller's idea that it was Andy Adams of 10 Oaks Nursery seems right
                        to me, but I don't know the names of his plants.
                        Sandra
                      • David Banks
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
                          The Google Search is working again on the ASA site. From "Hager" I got Don Hager--for Hager Nursery/ies, nothing. For Don Hager I got a handful of Azalean articles by him.

                          Most possibly useful would be "The Hager Hybrid Azaleas, Don Hager, Vol 6 No 3, 1984. have not tried looking it up in the journal but for whose who have that volume it might be worth a look.

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013

                            Yes it was Don Hager, a catalog of his azaleas was given to the lady that looks after the azaleas at the US National Arboretum in Washington DC.

                            Earl Sommerville

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
                              Buddy,
                                   I agree with Dave Nanney.  The late Andy Adams of Ten Oaks Nursery introduced them or at least was promoting them approximately 15 - 20 years ago.  I also saw several of them at the home of Court Lee in Glenn Dale, Maryland at the 2004 ASA convention.  He had some for sale at that time through his BoxLee Nursery.
                                   I have four of the series, but they are not planted in a good place and are not thriving.  Princess Mary Ann is a very nice bright red and does best of the lot for me.  All are quite double believe.
                                        Dan Krabill
                                        McLean, VA

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 9, 2013
                                WOW!!!  Thanks for all the responses.  It was Andy Adams (thanks Bill).  If I remember correctly, I purchased one of each of the cultivars.
                                They were outstanding plants and I remember that the blooms were spectacular.  That was probably 15 years ago..  Does anyone
                                know if some grows and sells this group??

                                On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:41 PM, Dan Krabill <dkrabill@...> wrote:

[...]

                              • Tadeusz Dauksza

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013
                                    Tad, I loss all my Azaleans during Hurricane Katrina.  The Azaleans were all neatly packed away in boxes.  Part of the roof
                                    got danaged in that room and water got in.  They were a total loss.  I also lost journal collections from other societies that I belonged to.
                                    Sadly to say, sice then I have not saved any journal for more than a year. I usually give then away.  I would appreciate it if you would copy and post or sent it to me.

                                    Maybe access to the journal content should be online?  Or is it online?

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013
                                      Buddy,

                                      According to the website, work had begun to put back issues online--updated July 2011. I'm not aware of ongoing effort though others may be. It would be a great boon to all of us--as this ongoing discussion shows. Certain the contents are already Google-searched.

                                      I am not sure how much is earned from sale of back issues--vs. the trouble of taking care of the orders etc. (not to mention storing them).

                                      Back issues of the ARS journal are online and available....

                                      I would definitely support putting The Azalean online relative to past issues. Trick is to arrive at a consensus as to how many months/years old an issue needs to be to be on line--so as not to cut into membership/subscription.  Many of us haven't got full sets for one reason or the other--fire, flood, Katrina, moving, etc. and would definitely benefit from access to this body of professional-quality work!

                                      Regards
                                      Dave Banks

[...]

                                    • Chris Wetmore
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013
                                        I think it would be great to have them online for ease of access/education and prevent losing forever. I have only been around for a few years and would love easy access to the past journals. Much to my wife's chagrin I am currently using Buddy's pre Katrina method and stockpiling the ones I have received.

                                        Any that we have digital copies of are easy to post. Any that do not have a digital copy, could be scanned. Sounds like a nice winter project!

                                        Chris Wetmore
                                        Maiden, NC

                                        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                      • Larry Wallace
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013
                                          Journals

                                          On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Chris Wetmore <chriscwetmore@...> wrote:

[...]

                                          Cincinnati

                                        • Larry Wallace

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013
                                              Thanks for the journal link Larry. I misspoke in my email, I meant azalean.

                                              Chris

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                              On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Larry Wallace <UUallace@...> wrote:

[...]

                                              Recent Activity:
                                              When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially t
                                            • Tadeusz Dauksza