Stunted new growth on azaleas

  • Valerie Stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013

       This is from the ask us page so please cc me

      I have a variety of azaleas that I pruned back earlier this year pretty much in the same bed. Most are fine but a few have stunted new growth   There is no discoloration so I do not think it is chlorosis
      Regards,

      Valerie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013
        If all the azaleas are exactly the same variety and were pruned at the same time AND kept watered  in the same manner, the new growth should be similar.  Two reasons come to mind.  Were the affected plants just outside the range of the sprinkler.  Or did herbicide, like Round-up accidentally get on the affected plants.

         This is from the ask us page so please cc me

        I have a variety of azaleas that I pruned back earlier this year pretty much in the same bed. Most are fine but a few have stunted new growth   There is no discoloration so I do not think it is chlorosis
        Regards,

        Valerie

      • Nicholas Yarmoshuk

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2013
            Round up can cause new growth to be small and disfigured.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2013
              Round-up will kill the entire plant, any plant, by blocking water from being taken up by the roots.  At least out here it does this.

              George E. Klump
              Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA