New Azalea

  • Voss, Lynn K.
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013

      Azalea Society of America,

      I would appreciate it if you are able to answer my question or forward to the appropriate person. I live in the St. Louis area (officially, St. Peters, MO) and we have some cold winters.

      I planted a new azalea in the spring and it has been doing very well. I have made sure it receives plenty of water, fertilized with azalea fertilizer a few times but have stopped recently, and it has received plenty of pine & peat mulch. It is in a well-drained partly shaded area location on the north side of my house.

      I wanted to make sure that I winterized in properly though and have read some conflicting information. Can you tell me:

      How long should I continue to water it into the fall?

      Other than adding mulch to try to keep it warm over the winter, do I need to do anything else to prevent it from dying over the winter?

      Do you think covering it with a burlap sack would be helpful?

      I would appreciate any advice you could provide me! Thank you….

      Lynn K. Voss

      Senior Coordinator, MA, CPP

      School of Professional & Continuing Studies

      307A JC Penney Conference Center

      University of Missouri- St. Louis

      One University Boulevard

      St. Louis, Missouri 63121

      tel: (314)516-5972

      PCSLogo

    • bergharold34
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2013
        Hi Lynn,

        You have certainly done all the right things. If it was in my garden, I would not do anything else.  Burlap, leaves unnecessary for your Azalea location ( north side of your house). In your zone I might continue watering to the end of October.

        Harold Berg
        Rochester, Mi   zone 6B