Question about Fashion azalea leaves turning brown

  • Nancy Worth
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 155 KB

    About 6 weeks ago, while I was having a yard cleanup, two azaleas were planted for me by a landscaper in a partially sunny section of my garden in suburban Washington, D.C.  (Bethesda, Md.)  The azaleas were planted within about three feet of one another.

    One of the azaleas is doing quite well.

    However, within about a week to 10 days, the leaves on the second azalea, a fashion azalea, began turning brown.   I acknowledge that I probably did not give this azalea enough water during the first  week.  Also, this azalea may not have received quite as much filtered light as the first azalea and receives some late afternoon sun. (There is a large dogwood tree whose trunk is several feet away that provides some shade in the garden.)

    I started to water the plant more frequently, but it did not seem to stop the browning of the leaves.

    So I decided within about two weeks of receiving the plant to move the plant to  a more shady area (it gets morning and a perhaps a little afternoon sun) in a different section of the yard.   I tried watering the azalea more frequently but an increasing share of the leaves continued to turn brown.  Today, I tried trimming the dead sections of the plant.

    My question is whether anything can be done to save the plant at this point.   See the attached picture.  Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

    Sincerely,

    Ed Kean