Very slow growing Nakaharai hybrid from George Miller of Hanover, PA

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2013
      I was reorganizing my container area today, repotting, discarding, retagging and deciding what things needed planting, when I found a healthy compact evergreen azalea with a blank metal tag and a neatly typed laminated tag that someone else prepared.  The name of the person who gave me the azalea was not on the tag but  the tag explained the azalea's origin.  It was cutting  of a Nakaharaii hybrid from the garden of George Miller of Hanover, Pa and it had only grown to 15 inches wide by 19 inches high in 34 years.

      I have no clue as to who gave me the plant.  I did find some e-mails I kept where Joe Schild  wrote about a lowland calendulaceum from the garden of George Miller of Hanover.  Joe may have sent it.

      Does anyone know about this azalea or have a photo of it?  It was sent to me as a plant or a cutting.  I would like to know who sent it.  My memory escapes me.

    • Tom Schuetz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
      Mike, I sent the plant to you and was very disappointed when I asked later how it worked out and you replied that it was placed in one of your "holy" pots and died. This was puzzling since the "holy" pot, to my knowledge, is used for rooting. That was my last communication.
      Attached are high resolution photos. "110615_22 nakaharai X" is a photo of the tag identical to the one on the plant I sent you. "110615_20 nakaharai X" is a photo of the plant blooming with the tag and a 1 foot wooden ruler from "the Country Market" a local nursery outlet no longer in business.
      The pictures were taken June 15, 2011.
      I am pleased that  it is apparently alive and well.
      I hope the size of the pictures does not cause problems.

      Tom Schuetz
      USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)

      Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
        Great!  Mystery solved.  The  tag in your photo is exactly like my tag.  It must have been another azalea that died or tags got switched somehow.   I will plant the specimen in a good location so it will bloom and fill out.  I use my holey (not holy) pots for pretty much everything since they assure continued good drainage.  Their holelyness has saved many a plant.

        I have several pods of  Lilium iriodelle maturing, pure species.  Aren't you interested in lilies.

        Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2013

          Mike, thanks for the offer but I believe that the prospects for growing seedlings and a plant to maturity are poor so I must decline.

          Tom Schuetz

          schuetz101@...

          2012 USDA zone 7b

          Great!  Mystery solved.  The  tag in your photo is exactly like my tag.  It must have been another azalea that died or tags got switched somehow.   I will plant the specimen in a good location so it will bloom and fill out.  I use my holey (not holy) pots for pretty much everything since they assure continued good drainage.  Their holelyness has saved many a plant.

          I have several pods of  Lilium iriodelle maturing, pure species.  Aren't you interested in lilies.

          Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
          Lexington , South Carolina