(agrobacterium and azaleas) this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC

  • deborah roberts
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2013
      this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC

      I live in zone 9 (Homosassa, Florida USA - centrally located in the middle of the state). This past spring I landscaped my front yard. 36 of the plants were drift roses. They were infected with gall (agrobacterium tumefactens) from the grower (star growers). It is incurable. All the plants have to be removed and destroyed. The bacteria can live in the soil for three to five years, so a similar plant cannot be placed there. I was looking to replace some of them with azaleas (encore autumn angel). Are azaleas effected at all with this bacteria? This problem is new to my nursery (we live in a small town), and they seem to know as much as I do. Can anyone please help me?

      Thank you,
      Debbie