Cypress needles for mulch

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2013
      Goodday
      This is Christine Boshoff from Harrismith , South Africa.
      I hear that one can use pine needles as a source of acid as mulch.
      I have a Cypress tree.
      Are their needles also a source of acid for mulch?
      Thanks
      Christine Boshoff
      Harrismith
      South Africa
      Sent from Samsung Mobile
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2013
        Hi Christine,

        Pine needles (also known as pine straw) are an excellent mulch for acid loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, and hollies.  Pine needles make an attractive mulch which allows air to circulate without packing.  The mulch helps to suppress weeds, retain moisture, and prevent temperature swings at the root level.  It's not so much that pine needles make the pH more acid as it is that they don't push it more the other way as some mulches might.

        If you have a pH problem (too high), you probably should consider using horticultural sulfur, ammonium sulfate, or iron sulfate.  I would not recommend aluminum sulfate to lower pH.

        I don't have any experience with cypress trees, but I would expect that cypress leaves or needles would serve as a credible mulch for acid loving plants.  If I'm too far off, someone will correct me.

        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland
        www.theazaleaworks.com