Fully dormant cuttings

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 55 KB
    I was going through some older files today when I found a 3 part photo I had put together as part of a program when speaking to groups.  It shows how I convert a dormant deciduous azalea branch into a variety of differently shaped woody dormant cuttings. Be sure to keep cuttings oriented correctly when sticking.  I have done this on purpose but all too often when a branch gets broken during winter on a prime azalea variety this is what I do to convert a freshly broken dormant branch into a domepot full of cuttings.  I have found that such cuttings overwinter outdoors well and are rooted by early to mid-summer.  I did this the past winter with an arborescens branch that an oak limb had fallen onto.  It is now a full pot of cuttings ready for dividing.  No greenhouse, no tissue culture.