last of late bloomers

  • Earl Sommerville
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22 11:52 AM

    The last of things to bloom this year; a prunifolium and two crosses of Prunifolium  X  ?

    Earl Sommerville
    zone 7a
  • Tadeusz Dauksza
    Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29 6:28 AM
      hello Earl-

      thanks for sharing some nice jpeg's of your late bloomers--  its nice to see some color in August---  i have some persistent azaleas that keep opening up this August, like Damaris, Aviator, and now Sherbrook---

      Earl--  Dr.Joe C wrote a nice artcle back in summer 2011 about the Strickland's collection--  are they now in the trade or available???

      thanks TADEUSZ- LM ASA

      The last of things to bloom this year; a prunifolium and two crosses of Prunifolium  X  ?

      Earl Sommerville
      zone 7a
    • Whipple, Andy
      Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29 9:25 AM

        Hi Tad, Earl, and all,

        Among the many azaleas I’ve put into tissue culture (~300 different plants at this point) – several of Earl’s, some from Vivian Abney, some I’ve collected myself, and others – are a few dozen from the Strickland collection.  In order to preserve the Stricklands  through propagation, Randolph Maphis, who is tending to the Strickland collection in Tallahassee, FL, has over multiplel years sent me cuttings from which I’ve established tissue cultures and thence plants in pots.  Presently I’m awash in 1 gallons plants from tissue culture, including many of the Stricklands.  As far as I know they aren’t in the trade, but I do have them available.  I did provide some for the Evansville meeting but I’ve got lots more now.

        Andy Whipple

        anwhipple@...

        Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29 10:33 AM
          much thanks Andy for the update-- i did remember seeing some of Strickland's during the Evansville, Ind convention, but i did not procure any , thus you are thaman.

          tadeusz.

          Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29 10:51 AM

            Hi Ted and Andy and all,

            Andy has nice larger plants and his wife would like for him to move a few so she can go shopping. But there is a place on line that has small 21/4" t/c pots of the Strickland and others. Go to www.RedBarnFarmRI.com
            Ted there is a group of azaleas that Al Smith at Vineland produce back in the 70`s and 80`s that I`m going to work on this winter I hope to get them back on the market. They are all Ball Truss very nice I`m working through Rhodo Land Nursery.

            Earl Sommerville

            Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29 2:09 PM
              Earl and all:

              I just finished watching and photographing the first of two buds to open on a very late yellow plumleaf azalea PU-0002-AC-Y (butter yellow) introduced by my friend Allen Cantrell at Fern Gulley Nursery, just one flower, which I pollinated with a nearby evergreen white August to Frost.  A second bud with multiple flowers is just now peeking open.  I will post photos shortly.  I think that other folks also grow the the two yellow prunifoliums.

              The now blooming yellow prunifolium is very late, possibly a hybrid with viscosum-serrulatum, the hammocksweet azalea.  It is in no hurry and very slow to open.  I need to root some and plant in a wetter site.

              The two plumleaf azaleas are R. prunifolium, labelled PU-0002-AC-Y (butter yellow) and PU-0010-GW-Y.  The AC means it originated with Allen Cantrell. The GW stands for Glenn Whiteside. The Y is for yellow.  Glenn Whiteside was a neighbor of Andrew Boike who grew at least one yellow prunifolium.  Earl, do you know of either Whitesides or Boike?