Re: [AZ] Mosquito protection for gardeners?

  • mike_threeshot
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 18, 2013
      Keep your lawn mowed short and use one of the pyrethrin bases hose sprayers.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
        I wear a "home-made" hat with netting.  I got a straw hat and went to the fabric store and got some netting like what goes under a ballerina tutu.  I used safety pins to attach the netting and it drapes across my shoulders down my back to my waist to stop a rear attack.  Bob calls it my "Wicked Witch of the West" hat.  I spray the hat with deet and wear a long sleeved shirt and long pants.  I try not to let the neighbors see me.

        Audrey Stelloh

        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:
        .

        What are mosquito-plagued (and other biting, flying insects) gardeners doing for protection in other areas?

      • Bob Kelly
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
          Michael, Let me guess:  You have never seen Mike's yard!  :o))

          Bob Kelly

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
            Has anyone had any experience with the machines which blow out CO2 and then suck mosquitos (and other bugs?) into a netting to dry out and die? Do they work for all mosquitos or just some varieties? What is the extent of their areal effectiveness?
            Barry

            ---- michael.campbell3@... wrote:
            > Keep your lawn mowed short and use one of the pyrethrin bases hose sprayers.

          • Sandra McDonald
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
              Audrey,

              What color is your netting? White?  I use the ready made bug bonnets, but it is a bit hard to see through the dark green netting.
              Sandra

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                We have 7 acres of mostly woods and we depend on our well for drinking water and irrigation water when needed (not recently, 10 inches of since early Friday morning).  So we are extremely carefull about applying chemicals to things outdoors.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                  Hi,
                  My netting is white.  I originally had it draped over my face also, but couldn't see very well, so I pulled that section over the back.  You might could get a netting with larger openings.   I think that having it cover 180 degrees of the back of my head and neck helps to keep the 'skiters at a distance and out of my ears.  I wonder if the Australian type hat with the dangling balls along the rim would help.
                  Audrey

                  On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Sandra McDonald <sfmcdonald@...> wrote:

                  Audrey,

                  What color is your netting? White?  I use the ready made bug bonnets, but it is a bit hard to see through the dark green netting.
                  Sandra

                  On 8/19/2013 9:10 AM, Audrey Stelloh wrote:

                  I wear a "home-made" hat with netting.  I got a straw hat and went to the fabric store and got some netting like what goes under a ballerina tutu.  I used safety pins to attach the netting and it drapes across my shoulders down my back to my waist to stop a rear attack.  Bob calls it my "Wicked Witch of the West" hat.  I spray the hat with deet and wear a long sleeved shirt and long pants.  I try not to let the neighbors see me.

                  Audrey Stelloh

                • christopher wetmore
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                    The clip on works for me but you cant be moving around, you need to be fairly stationary. I hate the spray but soak myself in that (as well as my clothes) and usually wear lightweight hiking pants when it is warm. There is also an OFF lantern I use which works great but it is not the one with the candle and heat pad I see everywhere. It was much less expensive I picked up at a small hardware store, you simply push a button on the bottom and it lights up blue and a fan runs. Seems to clear out a 20-30 ft area.

                    I have well water as well.

                    Have several creeks on property, some slow moving, and natural low wet areas. Plenty of mosquitos to experiment with!

                    Chris
                    Maiden, NC

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013

                    Hi Mike,
                    I have a well for my water source, too, so I don't spray toxic chemicals in my yard, either.  Of course, that makes my place the "organic" Whole Foods Cafeteria for the deer and other critters in the neighborhood.

                    My brother sent me the attached mosquito trap idea that reminded me of the Dome Pots that you use for propagation. Basically, you take a 2-liter plastic coke bottle, cut it off, and reassemble with the top pointing down inside like a funnel.  You put brown sugar and yeast in some water in the bottom part, and the mosquitoes work their way inside following the dark color and carbon dioxide emission.  They get trapped inside and can't find their way out.  I haven't tried it yet, but it looked interesting.

                    Don Hyatt
                    McLean, VA

                    Message 10 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                      Great suggestion, Don.  I have been reading about various anti-mosquito devices and that one strikes me as among the tops.  I saw it on Facebook last week, but have yet to try it.  Think I  will!

                      Bob Kelly

                      Message 11 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                        Walmart in the camping section and Babie R Us sell effective bracelets that repel insects.

                        To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 12 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                          One evening we had left windows and doors open too long and I ended up watching TV and sleeping in this thing with absolutely no problem at all:

                          Mind you, at night the mosquitoes are persistent and it takes a good hour or so to be sure that they have given up.  They hover right in front of your face because that is where the CO2 is concentrated.  It is such fun eyeballing a mosquito. (-;

                          Pat
                          Facebook group assessing pet foods:
                          http://tinyurl.com/3jqbd4a

                          Message 13 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                            Thank you all for the mosquito device suggestions.  I will look for the Off lantern and the insect repelling bracelets.  When it finally stopped raining this afternoon, I donned some near white yard clothes and sprayed down good with Deep Woods Off dry.  I had read that white or near white clothing did not attract mosquitoes like darker clothing.  I worked trail clearing, mulch collection and azalea planting for a good two hours.  No bites at all though I heard two skeeters close and saw a number near me.  Something worked and I am greatful.  I hate to be run out of my woods during prime planting time and seed pod checking.

                            Walmart in the camping section and Babie R Us sell effective bracelets that repel insects.

                            To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 14 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
                              Mike,

                              I was at work earlier and couldn't remember name of type of OFF lantern I use. It is called the OFF cutter, as I mentioned earlier it is not the two piece one that has a heating pad which seems to be more common in retail centers. The cutter lantern works very well for me if I am working in the yard in a 20-30 ft area. Link for them on amazon below.

                              I will also be trying the "skeeter-killer" than Don sent out earlier.

                              Refills

                              Maiden, NC

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com