Re: fried azalea

  • Steve Henning
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2013
      Hi Mike,

      How can pruning off dead branches stimulate anything very much?

      I can see where the fact that the branches died or the increase of light on dormant buds could cause changes, but the pruning of dead branches would only increase the incoming light very, very slightly.

      Steve Henning
      Zone 6, Reading, PA USA

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

      > As a fairly reliable rule, pruning of azaleas shouldn't be later than July 4, the reason being that late new growth will be subject to frost damage (and plant injury) particularly northward, less southward.  But to save a plant in peril, that late growth must be risked.  Cut out all ovviously dead growth and any severely damaged growth (where no new leaves are emerging) back to live stem.  That should enough to save the plant.  If you don't say yall, say some prayers for the plant.
      >

      > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      > Lexington, South Carolina
      >

      > >________________________________

    • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2013
        Steve & Mike

        When i saw Mike's post i had the same reaction as did Steve.  let me share an experience with a "fried Mary Curtis Azalea.
        A couple of years ago, following a frightful summer drought, I found my lone Mary Curtis brown to the bottom of each stalk.   My watering system somehow missed Mary Curtis.

        I left the plant alone.  Yes some green was evident on the stems but I had no time or inclination to prune.   I continued to water it.  This July I find that azalea has an abundance of leaves on about 50% of the stems.   I then pruned off the dead stalks not going below the green leaf on each stem.

        My advice, if it is a special plant,  leave the plant alone this year and prune in the spring.  I find, after 35 years of growing azaleas, the less I fuss about these things the better the results.   Oh yes, I do fuss about excellent drainage and watching the colour of the leaves and adequate watering.
        Nick  Yarmosuk
        Near Niagara Falls Canada

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2013
          Steve & Nick
          I would prune off the obviously dead stems down to live would primarily for plant  (getting them out of the way so you can observe overall new groth and plant health). But also there is the danger of accidentally breaking off a dead stem and breaking live stem or trunk below it.

          Once I lost two vigorous R. flammeum Hazel Hamilton plant from a Georgia Nursery in a unexplained way.  The woody stems were greenish and the plants very strong looking.  I planted them both in well prepared, properly drained holes.  Soon leaves began dropping from the apparently healthy stems.  I started pruning from the end of the stems and found a black core in the stems on both plants.  I think it must have been related to over fertilization.  These were tissue culture plants.  I have been wary of TC plants since that.