Re: [AZ] fried azalea

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2013
      Hi Robert,

      You can cut away anything that is dead ---  that isn't "green."  You aren't going to have very many flowers next year, but at least you seem to have saved the plant.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      Robert Karpuk wrote:

      [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
      I went on vacation and my friend didn't water the azalea.   After 2 weeks the leaves were brown but the stems appeared green.  After watering, SuperThrive and attention there is some new growth in the center.    Is there something else I should be doing to rehab it?   Will it come back or should I prune it way back?

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17, 2013
        As a fairly reliable rule, pruning of azaleas shouldn't be later than July 4, the reason being that late new growth will be subject to frost damage (and plant injury) particularly northward, less southward.  But to save a plant in peril, that late growth must be risked.  Cut out all ovviously dead growth and any severely damaged growth (where no new leaves are emerging) back to live stem.  That should enough to save the plant.  If you don't say yall, say some prayers for the plant.

        [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        I went on vacation and my friend didn't water the azalea.   After 2 weeks the leaves were brown but the stems appeared green.  After watering, SuperThrive and attention there is some new growth in the center.    Is there something else I should be doing to rehab it?   Will it come back or should I prune it way back?

        Thanks.

      • Steve Henning
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2013
          Hi Mike,

          How can pruning off dead branches stimulate anything very much?

          I can see where the fact that the branches died or the increase of light on dormant buds could cause changes, but the pruning of dead branches would only increase the incoming light very, very slightly.

          Steve Henning
          Zone 6, Reading, PA USA

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

          > As a fairly reliable rule, pruning of azaleas shouldn't be later than July 4, the reason being that late new growth will be subject to frost damage (and plant injury) particularly northward, less southward.  But to save a plant in peril, that late growth must be risked.  Cut out all ovviously dead growth and any severely damaged growth (where no new leaves are emerging) back to live stem.  That should enough to save the plant.  If you don't say yall, say some prayers for the plant.
          >

          > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
          > Lexington, South Carolina
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 18, 2013
            Steve & Mike

            When i saw Mike's post i had the same reaction as did Steve.  let me share an experience with a "fried Mary Curtis Azalea.
            A couple of years ago, following a frightful summer drought, I found my lone Mary Curtis brown to the bottom of each stalk.   My watering system somehow missed Mary Curtis.

            I left the plant alone.  Yes some green was evident on the stems but I had no time or inclination to prune.   I continued to water it.  This July I find that azalea has an abundance of leaves on about 50% of the stems.   I then pruned off the dead stalks not going below the green leaf on each stem.

            My advice, if it is a special plant,  leave the plant alone this year and prune in the spring.  I find, after 35 years of growing azaleas, the less I fuss about these things the better the results.   Oh yes, I do fuss about excellent drainage and watching the colour of the leaves and adequate watering.
            Nick  Yarmosuk
            Near Niagara Falls Canada

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 18, 2013
              Steve & Nick
              I would prune off the obviously dead stems down to live would primarily for plant  (getting them out of the way so you can observe overall new groth and plant health). But also there is the danger of accidentally breaking off a dead stem and breaking live stem or trunk below it.

              Once I lost two vigorous R. flammeum Hazel Hamilton plant from a Georgia Nursery in a unexplained way.  The woody stems were greenish and the plants very strong looking.  I planted them both in well prepared, properly drained holes.  Soon leaves began dropping from the apparently healthy stems.  I started pruning from the end of the stems and found a black core in the stems on both plants.  I think it must have been related to over fertilization.  These were tissue culture plants.  I have been wary of TC plants since that.