Satsuki Daitsuzan X R. calendulaceum Walhalla Gold

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2013
    Around May 11 of this year I noticed that my large-flowered Satsuki named Daitsuzan was just starting to bloom along with my yellow x yellow calendulaceum Walhalla Gold.  So I took a chance and heavily pollinated all the flowers on the evergreen, most of which were just about to open. Now I have 4 or 5 maturing seed pods on the Daisuzan.

    Has anyone made a similar cross before?  I was surprised that the deciduous calendulaceum actually fertilizer the white evergreen.  I know the calendulaceum is a tetraploid and I have read that this Satsuki variety is.

    If logic controlled the genetics of this cross, I could hope for a yellow evergreen azalea. But I strongly imagine that that will not be the case.  Anyway, the crossing of two outstanding, very different, azaleas has been accomplished.

    Attached is a photo of each parent and one of the maturing seed pods from the May 11, 2013 pollination of the evergreen with deciduous.