Azalea ID

  • Ron Rabideau
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
    Dear Group,
    Panayoti Kelaidis of the Denver Botanic Garden posted this picture and
    comments on Facebook asking for an id. Can anyone help? Looks a bit like
    something we have bought from Environmentals Nursery as "pink nakaharae".

    "About fifty years ago my good friend Paul Maslin (who's been gone over 30
    years) and I both purchased plants labeled "Rhododendron macranthum" from
    Walter Kolaga's magnificent nursery (now also long gone) in New Jersey. We
    grew this evergreen azalea for decades and it performed unfailingly in our
    harsh climate--which was harsher then. It was rather low (under a foot
    tall) and bloomed in late June and most of July...does anyone 1) have a
    clue what it is and 2) is it available commercially nowadays?"

    --
    Ron Rabideau
    Camden, NJ
    Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
      It looks like a very low pink nakaharae I have that bloomed for me this year, rooted from a nursery in Belgium.

      <*>[Attachment(s) from Ron Rabideau included below]

[...]

        <*> Panayoti's azalea.jpg

      ------------------------------------

      When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

      We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
          azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
        Hi Ron,

        If it is a Macranthum, then it is an indicum  which normally should have five stamen.  The 'Pink Macranthum' and the 'Purple Macranthum' that I am familiar with, however, are both doubles and are not low growing.

        If it is a nakaharae, the plant habit in the image is pretty reasonable, and it should have ten stamen.

        Bill

        Ron Rabideau wrote:
        <*>[Attachment(s) from Ron Rabideau included below]

        Dear Group,
        Panayoti Kelaidis of the Denver Botanic Garden posted this picture and
        comments on Facebook asking for an id.  Can anyone help?  Looks a bit like
        something we have bought from Environmentals Nursery as "pink nakaharae".

        "About fifty years ago my good friend Paul Maslin (who's been gone over 30
        years) and I both purchased plants labeled "Rhododendron macranthum" from
        Walter Kolaga's magnificent nursery (now also long gone) in New Jersey. We
        grew this evergreen azalea for decades and it performed unfailingly in our
        harsh climate--which was harsher then. It was rather low (under a foot
        tall) and bloomed in late June and most of July...does anyone 1) have a
        clue what it is and 2) is it available commercially nowadays?"

      • Tadeusz Dauksza
        Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
          Hello Ron-

          Perhaps the answer to Panayoti Kelaidis query lies in the Rock Graden Society old time members  who still might have Walter A Kolaga's Mayfair Nursery catalogs , otherwise pls contact someone at Cornell   http://bhort.bh.cornell.edu/catalogs.htm
           Library which have the Mayfair listed in thier Bailey storage.

          Tadeusz -LM chapter ASA

          Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2015
          this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC

          Is anyone able to identify the variety of azalea in the attached photo? It's from a garden in Chapel Hill, NC; unfortunately the owner does not know the name. Many thanks in advance.

          Jim Easterbrook