Are these bloom or leaf buds on prinophyllum

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
    The three oldest prinophyllums at the north end of our house seem old enough to bloom, next year I hope.   It would be the first flowers of prinophyllum in our garden.  Is there any way to tell whether these are flower or leaf buds forming on this prinophyllum?  A botanist friend thinks that it will be October before any prinophyllum flower buds reveal themselves.  Patience is the key I guess.

    When does prinophyllum bloom in the southernmost part of its east coast range?

    I do see at least one bloom bud forming on my largest canadense, which I just moved from a container to the ground, a seepage slope amended with rotted pine bark.

    When I see multiple terminal buds forming I usually think Leaf Buds.  One of my experience azalea friends thinks these are indeed leaf buds.  Does prinophylllum ever form clusters of bloom buds?  Flammeum seems the most prone of the 17 native azaleas to form terminal bud clusters.

  • sjperk5
    Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
      Mike

      I have never seen prino throw multiple buds on a terminal but I am sure it can occur under the right conditions.

      A flower bud on a prino looks similar to a flower bud on any native diploid deciduous azalea.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
        If anybody has taken any photos, I would sure appreciate some photos of the bloom buds on prinophyllum in late summer, fall and winter.  When does prinophyllum bloom in the sequence of deciduous native azaleas?  At what point in the season would flower buds for next season be visible, obvious?

        I have never seen prino throw multiple buds on a terminal but I am sure it can occur under the right conditions.

        A flower bud on a prino looks similar to a flower bud on any native diploid deciduous azalea.

        John Perkins
        Salem, NH

        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

        > The three oldest prinophyllums at the north end of our house seem old
        > enough to bloom, next year I hope.   It would be the first flowers of prinophyllum in our garden.  Is there any way to tell whether these are flower
        > or leaf buds forming on this prinophyllum?  A botanist friend thinks that it will be October before any prinophyllum flower buds reveal themselves.  Patience is the key I guess.
        >
        > When does prinophyllum bloom in the southernmost part of its east coast range?
        >
        > I do see at least one bloom bud forming on my largest canadense, which I just moved from a container to the ground, a seepage slope amended with rotted pine bark.
        >
        > When I see multiple terminal buds forming I usually
        > think Leaf Buds.  One of my experience azalea friends thinks these are indeed leaf buds.  Does prinophylllum ever form clusters of bloom buds?  Flammeum seems the most prone of the 17 native azaleas to
        > form terminal bud clusters.
        >
        > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
        > Lexington, South Carolina

      • sjperk5
        Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
          R. prino blooms after canadense, with R peri, and before R. calendulaceum here.

          Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
            John,
            How developed are the flower buds on your prinophyllum at this point in the year?  Can you send me a photo or two? Do you have any dormant flower bud photos of prinophyllum and canadense?  Canadense does very well in a good draining well watered pot here, believe it or not.  I just planted out my best container canadense,  I can root if or grow it from seed fairly easily outdoors.  I have some camtschaticum seedlings up in a large container sector planted with Cumayca occidentale seeds.  All germinated well.