Experiment

  • occidentale
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2013
    Several years ago I used R. occidentale as a seed parent and the elepidote Rhodie 'Polynesian Sunset' as a pollen parent. I have about 20 plants and they range from medium sized plants that look like a deciduous azalea and are deciduous, to evergreen plants with rhodie type foliage. I am pretty sure I have posted photos of these in the past but a current one is attached.

    Last year I tried crosses using 'Ruby Hart' & 'Nancy Evans' and none took. This year I thought I would try several more. I used 'Skipper', 'Blue Crown', 'Carmen', 'Noyo Chief' and a large unknown pink. The seed parents were R. occidentale big frilly, Frank Mossman sister (Double Dig 12 x Leonard Frisbie) and 'Double Dig 12' a tetraploid. I do have pods on just one of these crosses, Frank Mossman sister X 'Skipper'.

    It will be interesting to see if I get viable seed.

    Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood, Oregon, USA, Zone 8