Earlier blooming forms of prunifolium and arborescens?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30 1:51 PM
      I observe that the bloom dates for native azalea species get later as they move northward in gardens.  R. eastmanii here blooms around May 11 and as early as April 30, but around June 13 in Philadelphia at the Mary Henry Garden.

      Would the introduction of earlier blooming forms of prunifolium and arborescent benefit northern gardens and gardeners?  I grow from cuttings and seed some arborescens that blooms in mid April every year with fully expanded and mature foliage.  Woodlanders Nursery discovered in Aiken County, SC at the headwaters of the South Edisto River.  Also, I grow an early flowering prunifolum that I call Early Prune or Early Plum, and have shared it with several people.  It starts blooming in mid June or slightly later, well before my several other prunifoliums.

      Would these plants miss the early frost in the northern US and Nova Scotia