Re: [AZ] Locating plant

  • bovees
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013

      Leiophyllum buxifolium  (Sand Myrtle)  [Ericaceae]  An attractive dwarf shrub of neat, compact, rounded habit to 2 feet.  native from New Jersey Pine Barrens to Florida.  Small glossy foliage and star-shaped white flowers in terminal clusters.  Prefers moist, humus-rich, acidic soil, part or deep shade.     Z6-8/PT/EV        TB $8.50                E White

      Lucie Sorensen-Smith
      E White Smith
      The Bovees Nursery
      1737 SW Coronado St
      Portland, Oregon 97219
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013

        The really nice form is the mountain form which stays compact and spreading. Shown here in seed on the Appalachian trail in NC/TN.

        It is as Mike says relatively easy from seed or cuttings. Also fussy! I had an old plant 10 inches high by 15 wide that up and died. So I planted out 4 small plants and only one thrived. But it was lovely this spring. I heard its now a Kalmia.

        Sally Perkins

        Salem, NH

        To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com

        --