Locating plant

  • Larry Wallace
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21 5:06 PM
      I am trying to locate Sand Myrtle.  Wholesalers have it.  Retailers including Rare Find are sold out.

      Loiseluria buxifolium
      Azalea buxifolium
      Kalmia  buxifolium

      --

      Larry Wallace
      Cincinnati

    • Harold Greer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21 6:53 PM

        What wholesalers have it?  I might consider selling it.

        Harold Greer

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21 8:55 PM
          It is pretty abundant in the wild near our home, easy to grow from seeds and root from cuttings.  But it doesn't like every site.  The plants in our yard get leggy pretty quickly.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22 3:49 PM
            We have not grown that for over 5 years.

            So have no idea who would have it.

            Sincerely yours,

            Larry Stanley

            Stanley & Sons Nursery

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22 4:33 PM

              Leiophyllum buxifolium  (Sand Myrtle)  [Ericaceae]  An attractive dwarf shrub of neat, compact, rounded habit to 2 feet.  native from New Jersey Pine Barrens to Florida.  Small glossy foliage and star-shaped white flowers in terminal clusters.  Prefers moist, humus-rich, acidic soil, part or deep shade.     Z6-8/PT/EV        TB $8.50                E White

              Lucie Sorensen-Smith
              E White Smith
              The Bovees Nursery
              1737 SW Coronado St
              Portland, Oregon 97219

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 24 3:34 PM

                The really nice form is the mountain form which stays compact and spreading. Shown here in seed on the Appalachian trail in NC/TN.

                It is as Mike says relatively easy from seed or cuttings. Also fussy! I had an old plant 10 inches high by 15 wide that up and died. So I planted out 4 small plants and only one thrived. But it was lovely this spring. I heard its now a Kalmia.

                Sally Perkins

                Salem, NH

                To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com