RE: [AZ] buying satsuki azalea to canada

  • Diane Kehoe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2013

      Hi Edna, I have some Satsukis in Ladner, just south of Vancouver, BC. Unfortunately, Lyme disease has kept me out of business for the past 10 years but I’m just starting to get ready to take some cuttings off my parent plants this fall and so I should have some small plants again next spring if all goes well.  I’m afraid that some of my more tender plants died from lack of care, but I am amazed at how much abuse these tough little plants will take. All of my Satsukis were in pots and all of them needed transplanting – but even with no care the best of them have been covered with flowers the last few weeks.

      Diane Kehoe

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2013

        Hi,

        You can go to our website and see what we have.  We don’t have any of those you mention, but we have others that do the same color variation.  Shipping to Canada is expensive unless you make a large order.  I don’t even want to think what percentage additional it would cost to ship one $12 azalea to Canada.  Larger orders are not that bad, but I don’t think you need that many plants.  I would love to help you, but I think you should follow Diane Kehoe’s advice.  She can help you.

        Harold Greer

        What species of the Satsuki do you have?do you have their pictures?or I can go on your website to check them up,is it more expensive just ship one to Canada?if I buy more then one,will it cost less for shipment?
        I'm looking for Hikari-no-Tsukasa,Ai,Tokiebisu,Konu,Meiko and Suisen,do you have some of them?Hope to hear from you soon.
        Vancouver,B.C.Canada

      • Jim Trumbly
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013

          Edna,

          I live in California and have many Satsuki.  As others have mentioned Nuccios is the best source I know of.  Of the Satsuki you mentioned both Hikari-no-Tsukasa and Suisen are easier to find in the trade.  I don’t recognize “Ai” or “Konu”.  There is a very beautiful Satsuki called Ai-no-Tsuki that may be what you are looking for.  It has a medium size white flower with occasional purplish streaks and marks.  There is another couple of Satsuki called Koun and that might be what you have in mind with Konu.  If you got the names from a specific source I might be able to figure it out.

          Tokiebisu is possibly a synonym for Wakaebisu.  Wakaebisu is “toki” color.  “:Toki” is a specific color in Japan and comes from the toki bird, a crested ibis with color similar to the flamingo here in the US with persimmon pink plumage.   Wakaebisu has a hose-in-hose (double set of petals) with medium sized flowers.  It is a solid color Satsuki and is very popular in Japan and here.  It does very well as bonsai and in the garden.

          Jim Trumbly

          Roseville, CA

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013
            Dear Diane

            I am in Victoria and have seen your message about Satsuki Azaleas. I (as a hobby ) grow Bonsai plants. I have been looking for a few Satsuki Azaleas to train as Bonsai. I have a few Satsuki that are about 10 years old.

            Do you have any plants whose trunks are about 1 inch in Diameter or more that you would consider selling ? I am not to concerned about variety, but size does matter.

            I am coming to Vancouver sometime in late August or early September and could come by to pick them up, if you had any available.

            Thank you for your consideration.

            Regards, Richard

            Richard Geisreiter
            (250) 7211928

            --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Kehoe" <riverbank@...> wrote:

            > Hi Edna, I have some Satsukis in Ladner, just south of Vancouver, BC.
            > Unfortunately, Lyme disease has kept me out of business for the past 10
            > years but I'm just starting to get ready to take some cuttings off my parent
            > plants this fall and so I should have some small plants again next spring if
            > all goes well. I'm afraid that some of my more tender plants died from lack
            > of care, but I am amazed at how much abuse these tough little plants will
            > take. All of my Satsukis were in pots and all of them needed transplanting -
            > but even with no care the best of them have been covered with flowers the
            > last few weeks.
            >
            > Diane Kehoe

          • Diane Kehoe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2013

              Hi Richard,

              The only plants that I have that would be big enough for you are my ‘parent plants’ that I use to take cuttings from – and they aren’t for sale.

              I will keep my eyes open around here for you if you’d like. Sometimes some of our local nurseries bring in Satsukis that dealers  have been growing on with the other azaleas that they have for sale. I have spotted some when growers have tissue cultured a Satsuki and then grown on many small plants for years before including them in the plant material that they sell to garden shops. The plants are an excellent size to use as a bonsai ‘starter’ and may have been heavily fertilized to get them up to a good size for sale. They usually have received no care to develop good nebari but if I have a choice, I will buy the most promising plants for

              Bonsai. I love Bonsai and have been reading ‘Bonsai Today’ for years but I just don’t have the time or patience to work on them myself.

              Since I don’t know any active Bonsai enthusiasts at the moment, I haven’t been buying any of these Satsuki ‘orphans’ recently.  What Satsukis do you already have? Do you mind some duplicates or are you looking for ‘new’ plants only? If you send me a list to riverbank@...  I can look for plants you might like when I am in the local nurseries in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

              Diane,

              Riverbank, Ladner, BC

              I am in Victoria and have seen your message about Satsuki Azaleas. I (as a hobby ) grow Bonsai plants. I have been looking for a few Satsuki Azaleas to train as Bonsai. I have a few Satsuki that are about 10 years old.

              Do you have any plants whose trunks are about 1 inch in Diameter or more that you would consider selling ? I am not to concerned about variety, but size does matter.

              I am coming to Vancouver sometime in late August or early September and could come by to pick them up, if you had any available.

              Thank you for your consideration.

              Regards, Richard

              Richard Geisreiter
              (250) 7211928

              --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Kehoe" <riverbank@...> wrote:

              > Hi Edna, I have some Satsukis in Ladner, just south of Vancouver, BC.
              > Unfortunately, Lyme disease has kept me out of business for the past 10
              > years but I'm just starting to get ready to take some cuttings off my parent
              > plants this fall and so I should have some small plants again next spring if
              > all goes well. I'm afraid that some of my more tender plants died from lack
              > of care, but I am amazed at how much abuse these tough little plants will
              > take. All of my Satsukis were in pots and all of them needed transplanting -
              > but even with no care the best of them have been covered with flowers the
              > last few weeks.
              >
              > Diane Kehoe

            • richard_geisreiter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                Hi Diane

                Thank you for your reply. Variety is not really a factor in my quest for a few Satsuki Azaleas. I have four very old Satsuki Bonsai's. Three I imported from Japan last December before ban on the importation of azaleas went into effect. The other is from Tak Yamaura of Japan Nursery 16164-24th Ave South Surrey, B.C.

                I do not know the variety of any of the four. Tak may remember the name of the one I got from him, but the others from Japan are labeled in Japanese. As you know, trunk size and age are a big factor in selecting plants for Bonsai. Any color or variety is fine if they have a "fat trunk "

                I would certainly be thankful for any information you would happen to come across regarding the location of any plants that fit this description. "Parent plants " naturally would be fantastic as someone would have been pruning them for years.

                If you happen to find any of this type of material, please contact me rbgeis@... or phone me 250-7211928. I would be very grateful.

                Tak has a few plants at this time. He is having a sale on all nursery stock September 28th and 29th. Naturally I will be coming over to see what he has.

                Thank you again for replying to my note.

                Regards, Richard
              • Diane Kehoe
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013

                  Hello Richard,

                  I will go back to watching for Satsukis with thick trunks and decent root development and I’ll let you know if I find anything that looks promising.

                  Diane Kehoe

                  Riverbank, Ladner, BC