Re: [AZ] Growth on Azalea Leaf

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2013
      Hi Ed,

      It sounds like Azalea Leaf Gall.

      http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-605/450-605.html
      http://www.ugaurbanag.com/content/azalea-leaf-gall

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      deiulioeb@... wrote:

      Hello -
      This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC.
      My native azaleas have a white, relatively hard growth coming from the leaves.  It starts as a small circle and rapidly increases in size.  It is not the leave that is swollen but a growth from the leaves.
      What is this and how do I treat this problem?
      Thanks.
      Ed

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2013
      Ed,

      You will need to provide us with an image.

      There is the identical condition with Camellias where a gall develops from the leaf.  I've been looking at that recently, and I've attached some images that show more clearly that the gall develops from the leaf --- just the way it develops from the leaf with azaleas.

      Bill

      deiulioeb@... wrote:
      Sir -
      Looking at the pictures in the link you provided, its not leaf gall.  In the pictres the leaf is swollen - I have seen that before on azaleas and other plants.  This problem actually grows from the leaf.
      Ed

      Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2013
        We have recently had that turn up on a plant on our deck and are busy plucking off the leaves involved and putting them in the garbage where the spores can't spread.  AFAIK it is the only safe solution.

        Pat
        Facebook group assessing pet foods:
        http://tinyurl.com/3jqbd4a

          Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2013
            My guess is AFAIK = As Far As I Know .....

            Bill

            Harold Greer wrote:

            What In the world is AFAIK?

            Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2013
            Bill -
            Attached find two images of the condition.  You may be able to see the condition growing from the leaf and not something that swells the leaf itself.  Does this hel[p?