Re: [AZ] Please help - blight on my bushes

    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2013
      Hi Tricia,

      I'm not sure what the blackened stems means, but the flowers for this spring (2013) would have begun to develop last summer (2012).  Next spring's flowers (2014) will develop during the approaching summer (2013) season.  If you trimmed, shaped, or cut your azaleas last fall, you effectively cut away this year's flowers.  Any trimming that you do should be done as soon after the azaleas bloom as possible.  You don't want to interfere with the development of next year's buds.

      You need to determine why you didn't have any flowers this year.  Did you trim your azaleas last fall?  Are your azaleas in too much shade?  If azaleas do not have sufficient exposure (sunlight), they won't set buds and bloom.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      Tricia Cook wrote:

      Just noticed 4 of my azalea bushes (different colors) have got blackened  stems, branches, and no flowers are forming.  What can I do to save them and not have the others infected ?   Please help, thank you.

      Long Island, NY  Zone 5

    • Tricia Cook
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2013

        I’m sorry if I didn’t explain correctly.

        I need a chemical spray to kill whatever fungus/blight/disease  that has already destroyed  my bush.    Looks like they’ve been burned in a fire.   That’ s why I said blackened.   I’m trying to save what’s left if possible and not have it spread to more azaleas, than already infected.

        Nothing to do with trimming, flowers can’t form on dead branches.  Bushes are in sunlight, so not that either.

        Thanks for your help. I wanted to go to the garden center knowing what to ask for rather than them telling me what to buy/use.

        Tricia Cook wrote:

        Just noticed 4 of my azalea bushes (different colors) have got blackened  stems, branches, and no flowers are forming.  What can I do to save them and not have the others infected ?   Please help, thank you.

        Long Island, NY  Zone 5

        No virus found in this message.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2013
          Thanks for asking us.

          Take a close look at the crotches of the stems for little white
          patches. If you see some, and you scratch them with a fingernail and
          they show red inside, you may have "azalea bark scale" You can see
          pictures of that at
          http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/problems

          If you see that on your plants, an insecticide called Merit with the
          active ingredient imidacloprid applied at any time will kill them
          (after a month or so, as it is a systemic insecticide that must first
          be absorbed by the plant). If you can see some tiny bright red spots
          on the stems - it might take a 10X hand lens to see them - those are
          the "crawlers" that can be killed by washing them off with a high
          volume, high pressure water spray, or by spraying with insecticidal
          soap or malathion (if you can't see them, they are inside those white
          patches and won't be harmed, so there is no point in spraying until
          they come out and you can see them).

          Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

          On May 16, 2013, at 7:24 AM, Tricia Cook wrote:

          > Just noticed 4 of my azalea bushes (different colors) have got
          > blackened stems, branches, and no flowers are forming. What can I
          > do to save them and not have the others infected ? Please help,
          > thank you.
          > Long Island, NY Zone 5

        • Tricia Cook
          Message 4 of 5 , May 17, 2013

            Yes, the photo of the bark scale is exactly it, thanks.