Re: [AZ] Azaleas- in search of old azalea

    Message 1 of 11 , May 8 8:13 AM
      Christine and Barry,

      I don't see 'Amoenum' in the submitted images.  I see no evidence of hose-in-hose ("Calyx lobes 10 mm long, coloured as corolla."  IRRC, p 51).

      Color fidelity is sometimes a problem in full sun and after the flowers have been open a while.  Instead, I see something from the Kurume hybrids along the lines of a  'Hino-crimson'.

      The best way for Christine to proceed, in my opinion, would be to "ground layer" from her existing plants.  The images suggest that ground layering would be possible.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      bsperling wrote:

      Hi,
      It's always hard to tell color in photos, but if the flowers are
      actually a little more purple than the pictures show and appear earlier
      than most azaleas do then they might be Amoenum.
      Good luck,
      Barry

      Comcast wrote:
      > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
      >
      > To Whom it May Concern,
      >
      > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
      > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
      > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
      > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
      > information based on the attached pictures?
      >
      > Thank you for your time,
      >
      > Christine
      > Sent from my iPad

    • Jim Patsy
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8 2:02 PM

        Gotta agree with Bill !

        Jim Thornton

        Comcast wrote:
        > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        >
        > To Whom it May Concern,
        >
        > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
        > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
        > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
        > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
        > information based on the attached pictures?
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        >
        > Christine
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Harold Greer
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8 4:02 PM

        I agree with that opinion also although I can’t see the picture now.  What date was that original email sent?  Attached is a picture of the real thing.

        Harold Greer

        Comcast wrote:
        > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        >
        > To Whom it May Concern,
        >
        > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
        > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
        > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
        > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
        > information based on the attached pictures?
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        >
        > Christine
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Comcast
        Message 4 of 11 , May 8 6:18 PM
          I will look into all our suggestions. Thank you for your input. I may also visit the Mason Dixon Sale on Saturday at the Ag Center in Westminster MD.

          Christine
          Sent from my iPad

          On May 8, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "Jim Patsy" <jimpatsy@...> wrote:

          Gotta agree with Bill !