RE: [AZ] Azaleas- in search of old azalea

  • Harold Greer
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2013

      Hi Dave,

      Look under Rhododendron species.  It would be R. obtusum var. amoenum.  But it is not currently on our website as we ran out of plants large enough to sell, though we do now have plants large enough to sell, though since supply is short, we will probably not put it back on the website until the rest of the crop get large enough.  Though as I said we have had it available most of the time.

      Thanks for your contact, and know I never want to push my business to the azalea web members.  I only want to share information.

      Harold Greer

      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        Not to undercut Harold, but if you are within driving distance of my place 10 mi south of DC: I have several large ones that you can take cuttings from and some layered pieces that can be dug up. Feel free to call me.
        Barry

        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2013
          Christine and Barry,

          I don't see 'Amoenum' in the submitted images.  I see no evidence of hose-in-hose ("Calyx lobes 10 mm long, coloured as corolla."  IRRC, p 51).

          Color fidelity is sometimes a problem in full sun and after the flowers have been open a while.  Instead, I see something from the Kurume hybrids along the lines of a  'Hino-crimson'.

          The best way for Christine to proceed, in my opinion, would be to "ground layer" from her existing plants.  The images suggest that ground layering would be possible.

          William C. Miller III
          Bethesda, Maryland
          www.theazaleaworks.com

          Comcast wrote:
          > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
          >
          > To Whom it May Concern,
          >
          > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
          > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
          > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
          > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
          > information based on the attached pictures?
          >
          > Thank you for your time,
          >
          > Christine
          > Sent from my iPad

        • Jim Patsy
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2013

            Gotta agree with Bill !

            Jim Thornton

            Comcast wrote:
            > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
            >
            > To Whom it May Concern,
            >
            > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
            > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
            > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
            > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
            > information based on the attached pictures?
            >
            > Thank you for your time,
            >
            > Christine
            > Sent from my iPad

          • Harold Greer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2013

            I agree with that opinion also although I can’t see the picture now.  What date was that original email sent?  Attached is a picture of the real thing.

            Harold Greer

            Comcast wrote:
            > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
            >
            > To Whom it May Concern,
            >
            > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
            > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
            > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
            > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
            > information based on the attached pictures?
            >
            > Thank you for your time,
            >
            > Christine
            > Sent from my iPad

          • Comcast
            Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2013
              I will look into all our suggestions. Thank you for your input. I may also visit the Mason Dixon Sale on Saturday at the Ag Center in Westminster MD.

              Christine
              Sent from my iPad

              On May 8, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "Jim Patsy" <jimpatsy@...> wrote:

              Gotta agree with Bill !