Azaleas- in search of old azalea

  • Comcast
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7 5:05 PM
        [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      To Whom it May Concern,

      We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any information based on the attached pictures?

      Thank you for your time,

      Christine
      Sent from my iPad

    • bsperling
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7 5:41 PM
        Hi,
        It's always hard to tell color in photos, but if the flowers are
        actually a little more purple than the pictures show and appear earlier
        than most azaleas do then they might be Amoenum.
        Good luck,
        Barry

        Comcast wrote:
        > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        >
        > To Whom it May Concern,
        >
        > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
        > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
        > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
        > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
        > information based on the attached pictures?
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        >
        > Christine
        > Sent from my iPad

      • David Banks
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7 9:22 PM
          Barry,

          We used to have an amoenum in No VA, probably still do have it in that garden. There is (was, at least) a very nice specimen in the National Arboretum. I haven't seen them for sale ever, including at ASA plant sales.  I don't remember where we got ours in No VA, probably a local grower. If someone has one, cuttings would be nice things to grow and put in a plant sale to keep this gem alive and available.

          Our correspondent Christine might do with an intro to propagation by cuttings, for that matter--might be by far the easist way for her to get more plants of this variety.

          Dave

          Comcast wrote:
          > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
          >
          > To Whom it May Concern,
          >
          > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
          > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
          > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
          > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
          > information based on the attached pictures?
          >
          > Thank you for your time,
          >
          > Christine
          > Sent from my iPad

        • Harold Greer
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7 9:24 PM

            Greer Gardens has them and has sold them for many years.

            Comcast wrote:

            > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
            >
            > To Whom it May Concern,
            >
            > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
            > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
            > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
            > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
            > information based on the attached pictures?
            >
            > Thank you for your time,
            >
            > Christine
            > Sent from my iPad

          • David Banks
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7 9:43 PM
              Harold,

              Thanks for coming forward with that information--I had neglected to check your catalog, and have never seen it in a chapter plant sale etc. I must admit I haven't made a serious attempt to propagate it.....

              Dave

              Comcast wrote:
              > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
              >
              > To Whom it May Concern,
              >
              > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
              > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
              > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
              > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
              > information based on the attached pictures?
              >
              > Thank you for your time,
              >
              > Christine
              > Sent from my iPad

            • Harold Greer
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7 9:54 PM

                Hi Dave,

                Look under Rhododendron species.  It would be R. obtusum var. amoenum.  But it is not currently on our website as we ran out of plants large enough to sell, though we do now have plants large enough to sell, though since supply is short, we will probably not put it back on the website until the rest of the crop get large enough.  Though as I said we have had it available most of the time.

                Thanks for your contact, and know I never want to push my business to the azalea web members.  I only want to share information.

                Harold Greer

                Comcast wrote:

                > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
                >
                > To Whom it May Concern,
                >
                > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
                > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
                > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
                > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
                > information based on the attached pictures?
                >
                > Thank you for your time,
                >
                > Christine
                > Sent from my iPad

              • bsperlinus
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8 6:21 AM
                  Not to undercut Harold, but if you are within driving distance of my place 10 mi south of DC: I have several large ones that you can take cuttings from and some layered pieces that can be dug up. Feel free to call me.
                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8 8:13 AM
                    Christine and Barry,

                    I don't see 'Amoenum' in the submitted images.  I see no evidence of hose-in-hose ("Calyx lobes 10 mm long, coloured as corolla."  IRRC, p 51).

                    Color fidelity is sometimes a problem in full sun and after the flowers have been open a while.  Instead, I see something from the Kurume hybrids along the lines of a  'Hino-crimson'.

                    The best way for Christine to proceed, in my opinion, would be to "ground layer" from her existing plants.  The images suggest that ground layering would be possible.

                    William C. Miller III
                    Bethesda, Maryland
                    www.theazaleaworks.com

                    Comcast wrote:
                    > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
                    >
                    > To Whom it May Concern,
                    >
                    > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
                    > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
                    > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
                    > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
                    > information based on the attached pictures?
                    >
                    > Thank you for your time,
                    >
                    > Christine
                    > Sent from my iPad

                  • Jim Patsy
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8 2:02 PM

                      Gotta agree with Bill !

                      Jim Thornton

                      Comcast wrote:
                      > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
                      >
                      > To Whom it May Concern,
                      >
                      > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
                      > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
                      > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
                      > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
                      > information based on the attached pictures?
                      >
                      > Thank you for your time,
                      >
                      > Christine
                      > Sent from my iPad

                    • Harold Greer
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8 4:02 PM

                      I agree with that opinion also although I can’t see the picture now.  What date was that original email sent?  Attached is a picture of the real thing.

                      Harold Greer

                      Comcast wrote:
                      > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
                      >
                      > To Whom it May Concern,
                      >
                      > We would like to add azaleas to the other side of the front of our house
                      > and are trying to identify the azaleas that were planted when the house
                      > was built in Catonsville, MD in 1951. I cannot find anything that is a
                      > close match at any local nurseries. Are you able to give me any
                      > information based on the attached pictures?
                      >
                      > Thank you for your time,
                      >
                      > Christine
                      > Sent from my iPad

                    • Comcast
                      Message 11 of 11 , May 8 6:18 PM
                        I will look into all our suggestions. Thank you for your input. I may also visit the Mason Dixon Sale on Saturday at the Ag Center in Westminster MD.

                        Christine
                        Sent from my iPad

                        On May 8, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "Jim Patsy" <jimpatsy@...> wrote:

                        Gotta agree with Bill !