RE: [AZ] Low azaleas

  • Jim Trumbly
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2013

      Dave,

      If by “very low” you mean under 12 to 18 inches then your two red azaleas could be one of the North Tisbury (R. nakaharae) hybrids.  They bloom late.  Here in Northern California this is between the middle of May and the middle to later part of June.  I have two very red ones.  Joseph Hill begins blooming in the middle of May.  Alexander blooms a little later.  It is also lower and more spreading.  Another R. nakaharae  is ‘Mt. Seven Star’ .  It also is red and low growing.  While I have Hino Crimson as well I have not compared the “reds” and it is now past blooming.  My memory says the nakaharaes have a bit of orange in their reds.  In my experience Joseph Hill is the most pure red of the three.

      Jim Trumbly

      Roseville, CA