Re: [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] azalia trees

  • Maarten van der Giessen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
      The spider webs might not be spider webs, Chris, especially since you're seeing a lot of dead inside. There's a fungus, Rhizoctonia, that gets into the crown of azaleas when they're too thick and does a lot of the pruning for you. It's not a good thing. Your best bet is to prune out the dead wood inside, and thin the crown a little. Repot and discard as much of the old container soil as possible. There are lots of fungicides on the market for web blight (Rhizoctonia), typically applied as a drench. Before you put you azalea in the new soil you might want to soak the root ball in a fungicide. That should do the trick.

      Maarten van der Giessen
      Semmes. Alabama
      Zone 8b