[this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] azalia trees

  • Chris and Reed Elliott
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2013
       [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] (just to be sure I cover bases)

      I've done a lot of searching for advice on pruning an azalea tree. Can't find. Mine is about 20 years old, in a large pot. The head is about 3' in diameter. It's just finished a beautiful bloom.  I've mostly pruned for shape over the years.  There is a lot of dead stuff inside. Some spider webs.
       Do I just not worry and continue to prune for shape or do I need to thin, clean out the interior?  If more pruning is needed, do you have any guidelines for me to follow?

      Also, should I cut out some soil and root to add fresh soil, or just continue to amend and fertilize on top?

      Thank you, Camarillo, CA
    • Maarten van der Giessen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
        The spider webs might not be spider webs, Chris, especially since you're seeing a lot of dead inside. There's a fungus, Rhizoctonia, that gets into the crown of azaleas when they're too thick and does a lot of the pruning for you. It's not a good thing. Your best bet is to prune out the dead wood inside, and thin the crown a little. Repot and discard as much of the old container soil as possible. There are lots of fungicides on the market for web blight (Rhizoctonia), typically applied as a drench. Before you put you azalea in the new soil you might want to soak the root ball in a fungicide. That should do the trick.

        Maarten van der Giessen
        Semmes. Alabama
        Zone 8b