DYING AZALEA NEED HELP QUICK

  • Vernon Underwood
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
      Live in Pgh, PA.  Recently widowed - have NO gardening skills.

      Azalea was healthy until about 2 years ago.

      Started losing healthy limbs - i trimmed back the dead parts and fertilized lightly.

      This year it is almost totally dead, although there is still some green leaves scattered

      through out.

      I HAVE PACHASANDRA GROWING IN THE GROUND AROUND THE AZALEA AND IT
      IS GROWING ON THE DYING LIMBS.  IS THE PACHSANDRA KILLING THE AZALEA?
      I HAVE NOT REMOVED IT BECAUSE IT IS LOOKING BETTER THAN THE AZALEA.
      IT WOULD BE AN EASY REMEDY IF THAT IS WHAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM.

    • Tom Schuetz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
        Vernon, I am afraid that I have more questions than answers. I am 200 miles East of Pittsburgh so not in a radically different environment.
        Pachysandra is not growing on the azalea. It grows in the ground and other than using moisture that the azalea might need, should not harm the azalea.
        Are you talking about an evergreen or deciduous azalea? Because you say there are some leaves, I assume that the azalea is evergreen.
        You say that branches died. Check where the branches connected to a main stem. Was there a break there due to snow load one winter?
        Has the azalea been mulched to conserve water? Are the leaves that remain a healthy green or are they yellowish and have black spots underneath? Do you see any unexpected bumps or other unusual material on the branches?

        Tom Schuetz
        USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)