RE: [AZ] patanted azaleas

  • Bill Turk
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
      great article, well worth the read.
      btw, my sister works for DOC inside the beltway in the office of patent and
      trademark or whatever they are called. she states that the plant side of
      their office has been busier than even the tech side in recent years. this
      may by due to biotech, but I am sure the hort industry contributes a great
      deal of job security to the department of commerce.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
        European Patent to laugh at.

        Method of breeding azalea
        EP 1652424 A1
        ABSTRACT

        It is intended to provide a method of constructing an azalea plant whereby a gene relating to evergreen characteristics can be transferred into a deciduous azalea plant, a gene relating to heat tolerance can be transferred into a heat-intolerant azalea plant, or a gene relating to ever-blooming characteristics can be transferred into a one season blooming azalea plant. A gene relating to evergreen characteristics can be transferred into a deciduous azalea plant by crossing a deciduous azalea plant with an evergreen azalea plant. A gene relating to heat tolerance can be transferred into a heat-intolerant azalea plant by crossing a heat-intolerant azalea plant with a heat-intolerant azalea plant. A gene relating to ever-blooming characteristics can be transferred into a one season blooming azalea plant by crossing a one season blooming gene with an ever-blooming azalea plant.

        --
        Ron Rabideau
        Camden, NJ

        ------------------------------------

        When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as
        context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.
        And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

        We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480
        pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them
        you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on
        Azalea Society websites.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        --

        Larry Wallace