RE: [AZ] patanted azaleas

  • Harold Greer
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31 10:18 PM

    How crazy is that?  Not saying that you state are crazy, just that the name in the IRRC should be a name can be said.  HNIHAR017 is not a name that is usable.  In the future we are going tell our gardening friends, “come and look at the HNIHAR017 I just planted”.  I don’t think so!  When ‘Peace’ rose was patented it became ‘Peace’ rose when patented and it still is today.

    There is such a lack of “common sense” today.  And I include our government, no matter which party you like they all lack that ability.

    Harold Greer

    Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
      "If a company's trademark name becomes recognized by the public as the product itself (i.e. generic), the trademark becomes invalid."

      If Autumn Carnation is not used on any similar product then it becomes generic, like aspirin and almost Kleenex (now various paper products).

      How many Autumn Carnations will we have?

      On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Ron Rabideau <rhodyrex@...> wrote:
      Group,

      Here is an excellent article on the state of plant names today in
      horticulture by Tony Avent. Tony is owner of Plant Delights Nursery in
      Raleigh, NC and well respected.  Very thought-provoking.
      I think the only way some of this naming nonsense will ever change is for
      a case to go to court, but who in this busness has enough money to do that
      except maybe the guilty parties.

      http://www.plantdelights.com/Trademarks-in-Horticulture/products/534/

      Ron Rabideau
      Rare Find Nursery

      --
      Ron Rabideau
      Camden, NJ

      ------------------------------------

      When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

      We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
          azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --

      Larry Wallace
      Cincinnati

    • Ron Rabideau
      Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013

        wrote:

        > How crazy is that? Not saying that you state are crazy, just that the
        > name in the IRRC should be a name can be said. HNIHAR017 is not a name
        > that is usable. In the future we are going tell our gardening friends,
        > "come and look at the HNIHAR017 I just planted". I don't think so!
        > When 'Peace' rose was patented it became 'Peace' rose when patented and
        > it still is today.
        >

        > There is such a lack of "common sense" today. And I include our
        > government, no matter which party you like they all lack that ability.
        >

        > Harold Greer

      • Bill Turk
        Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
          great article, well worth the read.
          btw, my sister works for DOC inside the beltway in the office of patent and
          trademark or whatever they are called. she states that the plant side of
          their office has been busier than even the tech side in recent years. this
          may by due to biotech, but I am sure the hort industry contributes a great
          deal of job security to the department of commerce.

          wrote:

          > How crazy is that? Not saying that you state are crazy, just that the
          > name in the IRRC should be a name can be said. HNIHAR017 is not a
          > name that is usable. In the future we are going tell our gardening
          > friends, "come and look at the HNIHAR017 I just planted". I don't think
          so!
          > When 'Peace' rose was patented it became 'Peace' rose when patented
          > and it still is today.
          >

          > There is such a lack of "common sense" today. And I include our
          > government, no matter which party you like they all lack that ability.
          >

          > Harold Greer

        • Larry Wallace
          Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
            European Patent to laugh at.

            Method of breeding azalea
            EP 1652424 A1
            ABSTRACT

            It is intended to provide a method of constructing an azalea plant whereby a gene relating to evergreen characteristics can be transferred into a deciduous azalea plant, a gene relating to heat tolerance can be transferred into a heat-intolerant azalea plant, or a gene relating to ever-blooming characteristics can be transferred into a one season blooming azalea plant. A gene relating to evergreen characteristics can be transferred into a deciduous azalea plant by crossing a deciduous azalea plant with an evergreen azalea plant. A gene relating to heat tolerance can be transferred into a heat-intolerant azalea plant by crossing a heat-intolerant azalea plant with a heat-intolerant azalea plant. A gene relating to ever-blooming characteristics can be transferred into a one season blooming azalea plant by crossing a one season blooming gene with an ever-blooming azalea plant.