Fwd: Azelea's for Houston w/western exposure little to no shade

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
      [ please send a CC of any reply to Sandra Parker
      <sandraparker@...> ]

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Sandra Parker <sandraparker@...>
      > Date: March 30, 2013 2:34:11 PM EDT
      > To: "bstelloh@..." <bstelloh@...>
      > Subject: Azelea's for Houston w/western exposure little to no shade
      >
      > bhue=any
      > btime=any
      > coldzone=9 (30 to 20)
      > pltheight=1-3 (low)
      > pltshape=any
      > pltgroup=any
      > plttype=deciduous
      > database=both
      > nodata=include if no data
      > lsearch=Search
      >
      > We are looking for an Azalea variety that is short (max 3'
      > preferably less) and can tolerate significant sun. The spot would
      > be shaded in the morning (next to the house) direct sun late
      > morning to late afternoon and limited shade until sundown (west
      > exposure).
      >
      > Since we are in Houston, from mid-July until mid-Septmber, the
      > evening temperatures will be in the 80's and it is not too unusual
      > for the daytime temperatures to exceed 100 degrees.
      >
      > Any ideas would be appreciated.
      >

      > Sent from my iPad
    • Harold Greer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013

        When you go to the deciduous azaleas, there are not a lot to chose from that are low growing and like zone 9.  Maybe ‘Orchid Lights’, but am not sure how well that does in heat.

        Harold Greer – Zone 8

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
          Hi Sandra (and Harold),

          I think you might try Rhododendron atlanticum.  It's short (often about a meter tall), it's fragrant, and it seems to tolerate our heat and humidity of the Mid Atlantic region.

          I'm not having a lot of success with the Northern Lights series (e.g., 'Orchid Lights').  Developed in Minnesota, they don't seem to like my Maryland heat and humidity.

          William C. Miller III
          Bethesda, Maryland
          www.theazaleaworks.com

          Harold Greer wrote:

          When you go to the deciduous azaleas, there are not a lot to chose from that are low growing and like zone 9.  Maybe ‘Orchid Lights’, but am not sure how well that does in heat.

          Harold Greer – Zone 8

          [ please send a CC of any reply to Sandra Parker
          <sandraparker@...> ]

          Begin forwarded message:

          > From: Sandra Parker <sandraparker@...>
          > Date: March 30, 2013 2:34:11 PM EDT
          > To: "bstelloh@...bstelloh@...>
          > Subject: Azelea's for Houston w/western exposure little to no shade
          >
          > bhue=any
          > btime=any
          > coldzone=9 (30 to 20)
          > pltheight=1-3 (low)
          > pltshape=any
          > pltgroup=any
          > plttype=deciduous
          > database=both
          > nodata=include if no data
          > lsearch=Search
          >
          > We are looking for an Azalea vari ety that is short (max 3'
          > preferably less) and can tolerate significant sun. The spot would
          > be shaded in the morning (next to the house) direct sun late
          > morning to late afternoon and limited shade until sundown (west
          > exposure).
          >
          > Since we are in Houston, from mid-July until mid-Septmber, the
          > evening temperatures will be in the 80's and it is not too unusual
          > for the daytime temperatures to exceed 100 degrees.
          >
          > Any ideas would be appreciated.
          >

          > Sent from my iPad

        • Harold Greer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013

            Thanks Bill, that is a good suggestion.  I did not think the Northern Lights series would be good for that much heat.  I have seen R. atlanticum grow much taller than that out here, but it sure could be kept at that height and probably would stay smaller in Houston.  It seems in the NW, everything grows larger than expected, especially in shade.

            Harold Greer – Eugene, Oregon where the temperature is 61°F at 7:30 PM