Re: [AZ] R.W. Pennington

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi Mary,

      What you meant by "browned buds" was open to interpretation.   Some thought you meant flowers that bloomed normally and had subsequently turned brown.  I interpreted your words to mean flower buds that didn't open because they were cold damaged --- and they are still just sitting there looking very "brown."  We experience this often in Maryland when we have a late freeze in the spring.

      Buds that were damaged by cold serve no useful purpose.  They will eventually fall off, but they will look rather shabby until they do.  If you put your thumb on top of the brown bud and roll the bud around in a circular fashion, it will pop right off.  I wouldn't cut them off because that would sacrifice too much tissue.  Finally, if you have thousands and thousands of azaleas, I wouldn't go to the trouble of removing the damaged buds.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      mbail48 wrote:

      My R.W. Pennington azaleas have been blooming beautifully all winter. They were newly planted this spring. What do I do with the browned buds? This is a newbie question but I don't know whether to cut them off of leave them alone. Thanks.

      Mary

    • mbail48
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
        I live in New Orleans, Louisiana, in a suburb.