RE: [AZ] Azalea identifier [4 Attachments]

  • David Nanney
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2013

      Tom Nuccio at Nuccio’s Nursery, has an amazing collection of azaleas.  Unfortunately he is not wired.  If you take the photos to his nursery, east of Pasadena, he well might have them blooming.  If not, he is the most local candidate for identification expertise out your way.

      Dave Nanney

      Springfield, Virginia

      Snow yesterday, 50s tomorrow.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
        Hi Greg,

        The second azalea, with the wide white margin, resembles a Marshy Point introduction called 'Superstar'.  'Superstar' is a sport of 'Ben Morrison'.  How you would have obtained it out in LA  is anyone's guess.  You didn't indicate that you knew where your plants originally came from.

        The second part of your question has to do with a source for "standards,"  an azalea trained into a tree form.  Sometimes they take three plants and braid the stems.  I don't know of a source for standards. It's kind of an art form and it isn't widely practiced since they are a little awkward to ship.

        Dave Nanney's  referral to Nuccio's Nurseries is a good thought.  The address is 3555 Chaney Trail, Altadena, CA 91001 and the phone number is 626-794-3383.

        Their Web site is:

        http://www.nucciosnurseries.com/

        They have been around a long time, and they are the sort of nursery that might produce standards.  They also have a wide selection of azaleas.

        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland
        www.theazaleaworks.com