Re: [AZ] This is from the Ask Us page so please send me cc

  • George Klump
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hello, Diana,

      One of the best of the evergreen azaleas is 'Alaska' which, I believe, i belongs really to the Rutherford group of azaleas and is a good white which for me spot blooms almost the entire year.  There is an old one, 'Fielder's White', which belongs to the Southern Indica group of evergreen azaleas.  I've had both of these for about 35 years and they are most reliable.  'Glacier' is yet another which works well.

      You haven't said just where you are in zone 9, so I cannot comment on how these would grow at your location.  Closer to the coast where I am they do well.  But as with all flowers, the distance from the ocean plays a key part in just how much sun they will tolerate.  None appreciate unrelieved sun all day, but all of them love and will tolerate morning sun right up to noon time easily.

      George E. Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      On 3/21/2013 2:28 PM, Diana Treter wrote:

      This is from the Ask Us page so please send me cc

      I am in zone 9 in California. Can you give me the names of any azaleas that will grow here in full sun? I am especially interested in white evergreen.

      Many thanks,

      Diana Treter
      dtreterint@...
      Sent from my iPad