Re: [AZ] Azalea Fertilizer [3 Attachments]

  • bsperling
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
      Harold Greer wrote:
      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Harold Greer included below]
      >
      > I certainly believe in using more fertilizer than many on this forum.
      > Though with the soil you are growing in, you may not need much
      > fertilizer, though I disagree with the fact that azaleas don’t need a
      > fairly high level of nutrients. I don’t think a blanket statement
      > should be made “that azaleas need little fertilizer”. I am attaching
      > some pictures I took of azaleas with and without the proper level of
      > nutrients. I say nutrients, not fertilizer though they are somewhat the
      > same.

      Hi Harold,
      You've said what I have spoken about for some time: NUTRIENTS are
      needed and you don't know WHAT they are until after a soil test. My
      soil is hard-pan clay contractor fill that supports only moss and a few
      hardy weeds (and, yes, spring is here as the weeds are greening up in my
      yard!). Others, on the other side of the county (in the western part of
      Fairfax County, VA) can put a dead stick in the ground and it will
      flower the next year. They will loudly proclaim that "you don't need
      fertilizer", which is the truth, for them. But if you're not so
      fortunate then a soil test will tell you what you DO need and what
      should be added to the soil mix. If it is very water soluble or lapped
      up aggressively by the growing plant: then add it regularly.
      Barry