Azalea Fertilizer

  • John CCP
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013

      What is the best azalea fertilizer and with what frequency for coastal York County, Maine?

      Thanks,

      John Cormack

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
        Hi John,

        The "best" fertilizer is probably the cheapest available.  There are many kinds of fertilizer, and they all will work reasonably well if you understand how they work and you follow their respective instructions.
        Which ever form of fertilize that you pick, you need to look at the fertilizer label to ensure that it is appropriate for azaleas, rhododendron, or camellias --- all acid loving plants.

        Azaleas need little if any fertilizer.
        It is better to use too little fertilizer than too much, so use less than the instructions call for.  Azaleas tend to be a little sensitive to the nitrogen component, and you can easily apply too much. When to apply depends on which fertilizer you use, and I would only fertilize once.  You want to avoid fertilizing towards the end of summer since you want you azalea to begin shutting down (going dormant) for the winter.

        If you use the common water soluble fertilizers like Miracid and Peters, you should wait until after your azaleas bloom.  The water soluble fertilizer is available to the azalea immediately and you don't want to promote new growth while the azalea is focused on blooming.  The advantage with this form is that it is easy to reduce the concentration of the fertilizer by using a half measure.

        If you use cotton seed meal, which is very popular, you can apply it earlier in the year because the nutrients don't become available to the azalea  until the bacteria break down the cotton seed meal.  It's almost impossible to burn an azalea if you use cotton seed meal, so it's a little safer than the alternatives.

        Another option is products like HollyTone(R).  I'm pretty sure that it's a mix of both the water soluble and the organic forms of fertilizer.  I haven't looked at the label lately, but I would apply it after the azaleas bloom.

        The last option that I would suggest is the time release or slow release form of fertilizer like Osmocote(R).  It probably should be applied after the azaleas bloom.  This can be a little tricky since the release of the fertilizer can be influenced by temperature and moisture.  There are circumstances when too much fertilizer might be released which would result in the foliage being burnedIt's a good idea to be really careful.

        The best is probably the cheapest.  They are all N-P-K in different forms.

        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland
        www.theazaleaworks.com

        John CCP wrote:

        What is the best azalea fertilizer and with what frequency for coastal York County, Maine?

        Thanks,

        John Cormack

      • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
          William's advice is well taken . . . ..   just be absolutely certain that aluminum sulphate is NOT one of the ingredients.
          Nick Yarmoshuk
          St. Catharines near Niagara Falls Canada.

          On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM, John CCP <johnccp@...> wrote:

          What is the best azalea fertilizer and with what frequency for coastal York County, Maine?

          Thanks,

          John Cormack

        • George Klump
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
            Any good organic fertilizer will work.  Just do not do it too often.  Here we can do it at Easter, Fourth of July and Labor Day.  And we use cottonseed meal.  However, your climate dictates a shorter growing season, so make sure that your first application of fertilizer is at the end of your freezing time in the spring and maybe back up the Labor Day application about two weeks to the middle of August.  If you are able to get cottonseed meal there, John, put about a cupful around each plant and water it in gently.

            AND be sure that you keep water in the root zone during your coldest times during the winter, since cold winds will pull water out of the soil and leave the roots without water which they will need to avoid being dried out in the cold weather.  That will shock them and very likely kill them.

            George E. KIlump
            Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

            On 3/12/2013 12:13 PM, Nicholas Yarmoshuk wrote:

            William's advice is well taken . . . ..   just be absolutely certain that aluminum sulphate is NOT one of the ingredients.
            Nick Yarmoshuk
            St. Catharines near Niagara Falls Canada.

            On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM, John CCP <johnccp@...> wrote:

            What is the best azalea fertilizer and with what frequency for coastal York County, Maine?

            Thanks,

            John Cormack

          • John Corm
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013

              Thank you, William. The instructions on Miracid say it can be used every two to four weeks, but they’re trying to sell product? One year I tried not using any fertilizer on my acid-loving shrubs and my rhododendrons developed chlorosis, so I guess the answer is to use it at half strength and sparingly. Holly-tone suggests using it in the Spring and again in late Fall. I’ll look into getting some cottonseed meal as an alternative, though. Again, thanks for your input.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013

                Thank you for your response, George. Our ground is usually covered in a blanket of snow most of the winter. I’m in 5b. I’ll follow your advice and apply some cottonseed meal at your suggested interval and strength.

                John

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013

                  Will do; I’ve been reading about how harmful Al2(SO4)3 is to azaleas and rhododendrons. I have a hydrangea that I give that to, for its beautiful blue color effect. Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013

                  I certainly believe in using more fertilizer than many on this forum.  Though with the soil you are growing in, you may not need much fertilizer, though I disagree with the fact that azaleas don’t need a fairly high level of nutrients.  I don’t think a blanket statement should be made “that azaleas need little fertilizer”.  I am attaching some pictures I took of azaleas with and without the proper level of nutrients.  I say nutrients, not fertilizer though they are somewhat the same.

                  Take a look at the pictures and tell me that proper nutrition is not important.  The labels on the pictures explain what they are showing.  Of course these pictures were taken during the growing season with a rapid acting fertilizer.

                  Yes, we use a lot of ground bark and wood which requires nitrogen, but still most soils require some fertilizer.  I have never liked cottonseed meal, though it may work for some.  Dilute concentration given more often seems better than strong amounts.  You do not have to wait until after the azaleas flower to fertilize them.  For now 50 years I have fertilized azaleas before they flower.  In fact Oregon State University did an extensive study a few years ago that said the best fertilizing timing was once in the winter after the plants went dormant, one in the early spring, and once in the early summer.  Of course those of you with soil frozen in the winter have to wait until the soil thaws.   It makes no difference when the plants bloom, because some flower early and some later.  All that matters is that the nutrient level be kept at a correct point.

                  Harold Greer

                  Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013

                    Wow, there is definitely some diversity of conclusions. I appreciate your advice, though. Thanks.

                    Message 10 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Harold Greer wrote:
                      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Harold Greer included below]
                      >
                      > I certainly believe in using more fertilizer than many on this forum.
                      > Though with the soil you are growing in, you may not need much
                      > fertilizer, though I disagree with the fact that azaleas don’t need a
                      > fairly high level of nutrients. I don’t think a blanket statement
                      > should be made “that azaleas need little fertilizer”. I am attaching
                      > some pictures I took of azaleas with and without the proper level of
                      > nutrients. I say nutrients, not fertilizer though they are somewhat the
                      > same.

                      Hi Harold,
                      You've said what I have spoken about for some time: NUTRIENTS are
                      needed and you don't know WHAT they are until after a soil test. My
                      soil is hard-pan clay contractor fill that supports only moss and a few
                      hardy weeds (and, yes, spring is here as the weeds are greening up in my
                      yard!). Others, on the other side of the county (in the western part of
                      Fairfax County, VA) can put a dead stick in the ground and it will
                      flower the next year. They will loudly proclaim that "you don't need
                      fertilizer", which is the truth, for them. But if you're not so
                      fortunate then a soil test will tell you what you DO need and what
                      should be added to the soil mix. If it is very water soluble or lapped
                      up aggressively by the growing plant: then add it regularly.
                      Barry