Interview with Buddy Lee

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
      Here's an interview with Buddy Lee.

      http://www.mobilebaymag.com/Mobile-Bay/March-2013/Spotlight-Buddy-Lee-Encore-Azalea/

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com
      --

    • Tadeusz Dauksza
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
        thanks Bill for informing us ;

        I tried growing some of the Encore azaleas in Northern Illinois , but the survivol rate was very poor---  maybe those in zone 6b could have better luck;

        Tadeusz-LM

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013

          While the idea of the Encore azaleas is great and many are sold in the big box stores in the Northwest, I don’t find that they live long.  I don’t think they go dormant in our climate where plants tend to not go dormant well in the fall and then the first 20-25°F freeze they can’t stand.  Everyone I have planted in the garden has died before long.  I am sure I could grow them by planting in special locations, but just planting them with other rhododendrons that grow great, they soon die.  In all the years they have been sold here, I don’t know of any plants in landscapes around here that have lasted more than a couple of years.  Since they are patented and I don’t deal with Hines Nurseries, not because they are bad, I just don’t sell most of the landscape plants they sell and their minimum sale is too much for us to just buy the Encore azaleas.  But Hines and their affiliates dump lots of them into Home Depot and others.  We are in Zone 8.

          I also find the many evergreen azaleas flower just as well here in the fall and don’t die.  Has anyone in the Northwest had a different experience?

          I am not saying any of this out of “sour grapes” as the expression goes, just observation.  The idea of good fall bloom is great.

          Another plant that does well in the south and in survives in hot summer and colder winter is Lagerstroemia (crape myrtle).  Apparently we don’t have enough summer heat to get the plant to go dormant in the fall.  I think the same may be true of the Encore azaleas.

          Harold Greer – currently 56°F (13.3°C) at approaching 9:00 PM (21:00)

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
            Harold just had to reply. Crape Mrytle grows like weed here. Way over used.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013

              Weed is the right term.  Crepe Myrtle will regrow from every root fragment!!

              Bob Kelly

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013

                Bill, no I did not have to reply, get that straight. And if you feel that I don’t add knowledge to this group, I will get off and quit using my time to reply and give information.   I was just wondering for my education if those in the Northwest had a different experience than I have had with the Encore azaleas.  They may be great, but not for me.  As I said I don’t know of any old plants in gardens here.  They are here more like the “annual” only, not hardy rhododendrons shipped to and sold in the East, that come from the cool Northwest.  These plants don’t live long in the East.

                The Encores are grown in California and shipped to the Northwest where they only survive in the garden a short time.  And like crape myrtle, is not because of lack of cold hardiness,

                And you prove the point that some plants need different conditions such as heat.  Crape myrtle is rare here and while it grows it blooms poorly, though sometimes it does OK.  It is certainly not over planted here and in fact it is seldom seen, though I do sell it.

                Harold

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013

                  Harold , When" I said just had to reply" I was referring to myself on the subject of Crepe Myrtles, which you brought up in passing, when discussing encore azaleas.. That statement was not directed at you in anyway. Electronic emails, instant messages and so on have the pitfalls of being taken the wrong way. I so prefer face to face communication. For future references , if anyone see something in my post that seems a little off, please bring it to my attention. I am not the kind of person to go out of my way to start an argument, especially on a forum like this. By the way Harold you have always provide excellent advice to the group,  My apology if I offended you in anyway,

                  Bill Butts

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013

                    Harold after re reading my statement,"Harold just had to reply. Crape Mrytle grows like weed here." Way over used. I should have constructed it a little more carefully it should have said Harold, I just had to reply. Again Harold , my apologies .

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013

                      Bill thank you for your kind words.  I certainly understand.  I probably should have said nothing.  We are a big family here and sometimes disagree.  While for example I disagree with some of the statements made today on fertilizing azaleas, and I will post something there that hopefully will have some reason behind it.  I try to only post what might be helpful.

                      Bill I consider you and all on this forum to be friends who have special talents and experiences.  It is great to be able exchange knowledge with everyone.  Now, can someone tell me why my Bobcat skid loader runs down the battery when everything on the machine is turned off?  Just kidding, I know that is off topic!

                      Harold – Currently 60°F (15.5°C)

                      PS – another off topic note. I notice most people don’t use the degree (°) symbol which is fine, because it is not on the keyboard.  A tip for at least on a PC with most fonts, the trick is to hold down the Alt key and then on the numeric keyboard on the right of the keyboard (not the number keys at the top of the keyboard) and while holding the Alt key pressing 0176.  Presto up comes °.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
                        0176

                        Larry Wallace
                        Cincinnati

                      • bsperling
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
                          Hi Harold,
                          Well, that's surprising! I've used the degree symbol for many years
                          and it's been: alt-2-4-8. I tried your combination and it worked so I
                          guess the people who designed those font items couldn't think of a new
                          symbol and so reused one.
                          Barry

                          Harold Greer wrote:
                          > PS – another off topic note. I notice most people don’t use the degree
                          > (°) symbol which is fine, because it is not on the keyboard. A tip for
                          > at least on a PC with most fonts, the trick is to hold down the Alt key
                          > and then on the numeric keyboard on the right of the keyboard (not the
                          > number keys at the top of the keyboard) and while holding the Alt key
                          > pressing 0176. Presto up comes °.
                        • Harold Greer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013

                            Hi Barry,

                            I know there are other combinations that work and on some fonts such as what Larry Wallace just wrote, it apparently does not work.

                            People can look up “character map” in windows which shows how to get all of the symbols in different fonts.  Go to help in the version of Windows you are using and type “character map.”  It will tell you how to get there.

                            Harold Greer wrote:

                            > PS – another off topic note. I notice most people don’t use the degree
                            > (°) symbol which is fine, because it is not on the keyboard. A tip for
                            > at least on a PC with most fonts, the trick is to hold down the Alt key
                            > and then on the numeric keyboard on the right of the keyboard (not the
                            > number keys at the top of the keyboard) and while holding the Alt key
                            > pressing 0176. Presto up comes °.

                          • bill butts
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
                              Harold if you can't find the short. Automotive stores carry a quick disconnect for your battery, which will prevent the short from draining your battery. The other option would be disconnect battery cable when not in use. That option can be bothersome and time consuming if you use your Bobcat often.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
                                In Ms. Word I can change any letter or number to superscript or subscript (as in chemical formulas).  This formatting gets lost in Gmail.

                                --

                                Larry Wallace
                                Cincinnati

                              • Harold Greer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013

                                Bill,

                                Thanks for the advice.  Disconnecting the battery is what we are doing.  It apparently it is some relay that sticks, but we have not be able to find out which one.  It probably has to do with the system that makes sure someone is seated in the driver’s seat before the loader will move.  What is more of a challenge is that the problem is intermittent, so sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not.  The fun of modern mechanics!  At nearly $100 per hour plus travel time, I hate to have the dealer come out when the problem may not be there at the time he arrives.

                                Now back to the azaleas.  I asked earlier if anyone has ‘Atrosanguineum’.  As I said I brought it from Japan, but someway sold every plant.  It is a great azalea which is somewhat like ‘Ward’s Ruby’, but hardier.  I hope someone out there still has a plant.

                                Harold -