Planting azaleas in my area

  • Nicola Gabel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hello,

      I am wanting to plant some evergreen azaleas in my small garden patch in front of my house but I have not found an answer to my question regarding my specific climate.  I live in the Pacific Northwest in Washington State.  Then winter months last for 4-5 months out of the year dropping to the coldest of usually the mid 20F, with not as much snow as you might imagine but still frosty for some time,  then when the summer starts it rains ALOT for several months, summer months the temp. rises to usually low 90F but for several months in Autumn the temp maintains a nice 70F.  My garden gets good mid-day to evening sun.  Would these conditions be good to plant the evergreen azaleas or the Deciduous azaleas.

      I just love the way they smell and the blooms are perfect for my garden.

      I will wait for your advice.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

      Nikki Gabel
    • Tadeusz Dauksza
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
        Hello Nicola

          I would contact or even better yet attend a meeting to ask the same question from any members who are there of this chapter,  I am positive that these members grow both deciduous as well as persistant leaf azaleas , I am sure that they will have better answers for you than someone  like me who lives 2,200 miles away.

        Tacoma
        E-Mail
        (253)-941-3854
        Puyallup Public Library
        305 Meridian, Puyallup WA
        Second Wednesday of the month, 7 pm social, 7:30 pm meeting, September to June

        Tadeusz-Lake Michigan Chapter ASA

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
          Hi Nikki,

          Thanks for asking the group.

          Just about all Evergreen and Deciduous Azaleas will do fine in the Pacific Northwest. The only exceptions are "Florist Azaleas". They usually found at florist shops and some big box stores around Mother's Day, etc. They are too tender.

          As Tadeusz suggested, there are many people in the PNW who would be willing to help. Go to http://www.rhododendron.org/ click on Chapters & Locations, Western U.S. and you will find more information. All Chapter meetings are open to the public. A number have plants sales at their meetings. There is also a convention May 1-5 near the SeaTac airport. Information is on the website and the convention is open to the public.

          There are several things to consider when purchasing and planting azaleas.

          In general Evergreen Azaleas are lower growing (3' in 10 years) and usually broader that they are tall. Deciduous Azaleas are  taller (6' in 10 years) and usually taller than they are broad. Both will take full sun but deciduous azaleas really prefer full sun to flower well. Evergreen azaleas do well in part shade which is what you describe. More varieties of deciduous azaleas are fragrant that the evergreen azaleas.

          The best time to plant any shrub in the PNW is in the Fall when the rains begin. You can plant in the Spring but the plants will need watering during our dry summers. The plants you purchase will most likely be in containers and possibly grown in some kind of bark or potting soil mix. I recommend soaking the plants well before removing them from the container. Loosen the roots and spread them out in the hole. Back fill with the soil from the hole and pack gently with your hands. Don't stomp it down with your foot. The bark or potting soil will dry out faster than the surrounding soil. I recommend covering it with about an inch of the garden soil so that it does not wick moisture. Keep an eye on the plants during the summer and water the plant itself as needed. A good indication of a dry plant is drooping leaves in the morning but it is best not to let the plants get to that point.

          I recommend purchasing your plants at good independent garden centers rather than big box stores. Independent garden centers will have a better selection and better plants. Their staff will be more knowledgeable as well.

          All in all, the Pacific Northwest is Rhododendron and Azalea heaven. They are great plants and, when established, require minimal care.

          Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood, Oregon, USA, Zone 8