Re: [AZ] Lace Bug Control [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2013
      Hi Red,

      UC-Davis has a Web page worth looking at.  http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7428.html

      The University of Florida has good Web site.   http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/shrubs/azalea_lace_bug.htm

      Most sources recommend systemic insecticides --- especially Bayer Advanced Garden Tree & Shrub Insect Control and  Merit, but that would include products that contain imidacloprid.  Also, you might consider Orthene or products containing Acephate.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      occidentale wrote:

      Lace Bug is fairly new to the Pacific Northwest, first reported as being a real problem in about 2008. I mistook it as a fertilizer problem when I first saw it. Since then, Lace Bug has become fairly wide spread in Western Oregon with many large nurseries reporting problems. While those in the nursery business are now aware of the problem and know how to deal with it, the general public is not. Large garden centers in the Portland area are misdiagnosing the problem and giving out incorrect information. I was very disappointed when I inquired of the Master Gardeners as two large shows this month and no one knew what I was talking about.

      Oregon State University Extension Service does have a somewhat out dated publication for homeowners at http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/Azalea_lacebug_2012_owner_version.pdf. OSU also has an 'Ask The Expert' site, http://extension.oregonstate.edu/question-of-the-week/azalea-lace-bug, where the public can ask questions and receive what is supposed to be good advice. However, when I looked at their recommendation to one questioner, I was appalled. The question was what to do about Lace Bug on some 500 Evergreen Azaleas in a large condominium project. The reply was to remove the Azaleas and replace them with something else. I questioned this logic and received a lengthy reply sighting the economics of control verses replacement. The entire conversations is attached.

      Since many people on these groups have been dealing with Lace Bug for a number of years, what advice is your Extension Service or other entities giving you? I think that we really need to take this problem seriously and make a concerted effort to get good advise out to the general public.

      Suggestions will be appreciated,

      Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood, Oregon, USA, Zone 8