Re: [AZ] Admiral Semmes

  • Steve Earnest
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
      Paul,
      I am surprised as well. Good to know.

      Steve Earnest

      From: "Lightfoot, Paul" <pllightfo@...>
      To: "<azaleas@yahoogroups.com>" <azaleas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [AZ] Admiral Semmes

      Me too---Blooms in May here, along with all of the other austrinum(y) stuff.  I love them all!  Surprising that they all grow fast and well here, and are quite winter hardy!

      Paul Lightfoot
      Upland, IN

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 20, 2013, at 9:48 AM, "Steve Earnest" <searnest6956@...<mailto:searnest6956@...>> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Steve Earnest included below]

      I am looking forward to seeing this early spring bloomer, The Admiral Semmes Native Azalea.
      This was one of my plants in bloom last April, 2012.
      Enjoy!

      Steve Earnest

      The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the sender of this email, and then delete it from your system. Taylor University is not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.

      ------------------------------------

      When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

      We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
          azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Whipple, Andy
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
        Steve,

        As Paul's friend here in north central Indiana, I can confirm that austrinum and austrinum-derived azaleas can do just fine here if provided well-drained acidic soil and adequate watering in the hot dry part of the summer. We have a variety of such plants from Earl Sommerville's (Marietta Georgia) collection and from the Kelly Strickland (Tallahassee Florida) collection that grow and bloom here, and have done so for several years.

        Andy Whipple
        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2013
          Admiral Semmes is, I believe, the earliest flowering of the Tom Dodd
          Confederate Series. This series resulted from the cross of 'Exbury Hotspur
          Yellow' x austrinum 'Escatawpa'. It tends to be low growing if planted in
          sufficient light. It is an excellent yellow.

          Bob Kelly
          Aberdeen, MS Zone 8b

          > As Paul's friend here in north central Indiana, I can confirm that
          > austrinum and austrinum-derived azaleas can do just fine here if provided
          > well-drained acidic soil and adequate watering in the hot dry part of the
          > summer. We have a variety of such plants from Earl Sommerville's
          > (Marietta Georgia) collection and from the Kelly Strickland (Tallahassee
          > Florida) collection that grow and bloom here, and have done so for several
          > years.
          >
          > Andy Whipple

        • Steve Earnest
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2013
          Bob,
          This bush is also very prolific. I have 3 Admiral Semmes flowering bushes with at least one juvenile. These bushes were my second bushes to bloom last year, 2012.
          I attached my blooming cycle for the bushes that I planted, in case anybody wants to purchase some plants that bloom at other times.

          Steve Earnest