Re: [AZ] Azalea growing wild [1 Attachment]

  • Tadeusz Dauksza
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
      Steve--

        thanks for posting and sharing that fine beautyful jpeg of that  R.canescens-- does this one and the others that you grow have a suckering habit  and how tall do they
       grow ??   do the  flowers range from white to pink to rose, blooming from late March to late April ??  etc    Is canescens the most prevalent in South Carolina ??

      thanks

       Tadeusz-Lake Michigan Chapter ASA

       .
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013

      Yes, these have some suckers and I did have some transplant success. That particular plant is 8 or 9 feet tall. Yes, I would say that the piedmonts, then Austrinums and then the pinxterblooms are the 3 most prevelant and in same order as listed. I work at Rumbling Bald Resort in Lake Lure N.C. We have 3,000 protected acres and 48 miles of rds. I have found numerous big piedmonts out here. In fact I found one cluster, with at least 2 azaleas 30 ft tall. See attached pic. I will take another pic when they bloom in a month or so.
      And yes on the color question.

      Steve Earnest

      Maybe 5 years ago I observed this beautiful piedmont azalea bush growing about a 100 yards off my back deck. After this experience I became hooked.
      I have planted over 100 bushes since. I also found another piedmont and a cluster of these nearby.

      Steve Earnest
    • turniptown
      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Tadeusz Dauksza <iltkyao@...> wrote:

        > Steve--
        >
        >   thanks for posting and sharing that fine beautyful jpeg of that  R.canescens-- does this one and the others that you grow have a suckering habit  and how tall do they
        >  grow ??   do the  flowers range from white to pink to rose, blooming from late March to late April ??  etc    Is canescens the most prevalent in South Carolina ??
        >
        > thanks
        >
        >  Tadeusz-Lake Michigan Chapter ASA
        Tadeusz did you start the flammeun azalea seed i sent you? The germinated well for me. I ended up with about 2 dozen nice plants . They are about 6 inches tall now.

        Bill Butts
        Ellijay, Georgia