Re: [AZ] 2013 ASA Seed Exchange

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2013
      A brief description was in the original list of the 6 seed packets I sent, but here is the expanded version.

      Colonel Mosby, large orange-red (austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd Confederate Series hybrid) growing near R. calendulaceum Flat Rock Red, OP

      Col. Mosby is named for the Confederate hero Major Mosby, later promoted to Colonel.  It is a tall reliable bloomer with large flowers and huge seed pods, a tetraploid certainly.

      Do you know if Caroline R. Dean of Opelika, Alabama is still living and able to talk by phone or email?  I thought of her recently while reading the article about Mt. Cheaha State Park.  We used to correspond by email and I have kept all my emails well organized by month in date order in text files since the late 1980s.  I found our correspondence from 2005 when she sent me her photo of a yellow cumberlandense at Mt. Cheaha State Park.  Online I found an article about her in 2012.  I just emailed her at an old address I kept from 2005, but  no answer yet.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2013
        Thanks, Mike. It will be on the updated list, soon.

        Audrey and I saw Caroline Dean early in 2011, and again with John
        Brown in July 2011. She will be 95 on July 7, and her son Bobby is
        living with her. The only email address I've known for her is
        Caroline Dean <deancar@...>; I don't remember ever talking to
        her on the phone.

        On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:37 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

        > A brief description was in the original list of the 6 seed packets
        > I sent, but here is the expanded version.
        >
        > Colonel Mosby, large orange-red (austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd
        > Confederate Series hybrid) growing near R. calendulaceum Flat Rock
        > Red, OP
        >
        > Col. Mosby is named for the Confederate hero Major Mosby, later
        > promoted to Colonel. It is a tall reliable bloomer with large
        > flowers and huge seed pods, a tetraploid certainly.
        >
        > Do you know if Caroline R. Dean of Opelika, Alabama is still living
        > and able to talk by phone or email? I thought of her recently
        > while reading the article about Mt. Cheaha State Park. We used to
        > correspond by email and I have kept all my emails well organized by
        > month in date order in text files since the late 1980s. I found
        > our correspondence from 2005 when she sent me her photo of a yellow
        > cumberlandense at Mt. Cheaha State Park. Online I found an article
        > about her in 2012. I just emailed her at an old address I kept
        > from 2005, but no answer yet.
        >
        > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
        > Lexington, South Carolina

      • Tom Schuetz
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
          Returned from the Azalea Society Convention in Athens GA which had some outstanding properties on tour on Friday.  Had frost here in Mechanicsburg PA on Sunday evening which nipped early blooming small leaf rhododendrons PJM and April Blush. No azaleas opened yet, so no damage to them.

          Tom Schuetz
          USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)
        • Lightfoot, Paul
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
            On Saturday of the convention, my wife sent me a photo of snow on the deck. I think our low was 29, but only a few magnolias hurt much, since not much is out. It sure was beautiful in Georgia, though. I'm wondering if our azalea and Rhodo bloom season will be compressed with the late spring.

            Paul Lightfoot
            Upland, IN Zone 6a as of 2012

            Sent from my iPad

            On Apr 24, 2013, at 10:52 AM, "Tom Schuetz" <schuetz101@...<mailto:schuetz101@...>> wrote:

            Returned from the Azalea Society Convention in Athens GA which had some outstanding properties on tour on Friday. Had frost here in Mechanicsburg PA on Sunday evening which nipped early blooming small leaf rhododendrons PJM and April Blush. No azaleas opened yet, so no damage to them.

            Tom Schuetz
            schuetz101@...<mailto:schuetz101@...>
            USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)

            The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the sender of this email, and then delete it from your system. Taylor University is not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.
          • evelyn or david purdy
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
              We had 24 F last night. No azaleas out yet, but r. dauricum blossoms didn't
              lil\ke it. This is Omaha NE. Regards, Dave Purdy