Re: [AZ] landscaping question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2013
    Hi Tim,

    You will be pleased to learn that Summerville has a very famous azalea festival every spring.  You might check with your local Chamber of Commerce for the schedule

    'George Lindley Taber' (light purplish pink with an irregular white margin) and 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing' (white) are two very good azaleas for your area.  Both are very common and will be easy to find.  There are several very good nurseries in Summerville and you should take note of which azaleas they offer.

    Dogwoods don't do so well out it the open.  They do better under some kind of canopy like tall oaks or pines.   You might consider adding long leaf pines, magnolias, camellias, and crepe myrtle to your landscape plan.

    William C. Miller III
    Bethesda, Maryland

     Roden, Tim E. wrote:

    Hello.  I just bought a house in Summerville, SC.  It’s approximately 3 acres and I would like to plant azaleas along the sides for privacy.  I was thinking of planting groups of azaleas, with dogwoods mixed in a bit.  What would be the best variety to grow for height (over 5 feet) and bulk.  Also, would like to have some pretty blooms and must be evergreen.  Thanks.

    Tim