Re: 2013 ASA Seed Exchange

  • Bruce Clyburn
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
      I've been checking twice a week since this post was made on Dec 17, 2012 and haven't seen the release of a 2013 seed list. Peculiar, many of the other links on the left hand side bar menu are 'dead' as well. Anybody have any information?

      Bruce Clyburn
      New Waterford, NS

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
        We are busily getting the list of seed lots for 2013 ready and it may
        be published yet this week.

        We are investigating a few reports of problems with the Azalea
        Society website. So far, it seems to be trouble with Internet
        Explorer version 9, and only intermittent trouble, and restricted to
        specific computers. That seems to be related to the users rather than
        to a problem with the website.

        Please let us know which of the side bar menu links are dead, and
        which browser you are using.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
          Bob:

          Thank you for that update on the 2013 seed list. I am running Explorer 9 and the problem is intermittent.  All sidebar links go dead except FAQ. If you try later they come back. I visited ASA on a second computer with Firefox; it seems fine.

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2013
            Mike,

            I finally have the list of seed lots online. Thank you for sending us
            some seed.

            I noticed you had sent me a picture of 'Col. Mosby' a while ago, but
            no description of a seed lot involving it. Now Lindy Johnson says she
            has a seed packet from you which she described as "Col. Mosby, large
            orange Austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd hybrid, OP". I'm not sure what
            to make of that. Maybe the seed is 'Col. Mosby' op, and the rest of
            her info is your description of 'Col. Mosby'? Anyway, would you
            please describe that seed packet the way you did for the other seed
            you sent? Then I can add it to the list.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2013
              A brief description was in the original list of the 6 seed packets I sent, but here is the expanded version.

              Colonel Mosby, large orange-red (austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd Confederate Series hybrid) growing near R. calendulaceum Flat Rock Red, OP

              Col. Mosby is named for the Confederate hero Major Mosby, later promoted to Colonel.  It is a tall reliable bloomer with large flowers and huge seed pods, a tetraploid certainly.

              Do you know if Caroline R. Dean of Opelika, Alabama is still living and able to talk by phone or email?  I thought of her recently while reading the article about Mt. Cheaha State Park.  We used to correspond by email and I have kept all my emails well organized by month in date order in text files since the late 1980s.  I found our correspondence from 2005 when she sent me her photo of a yellow cumberlandense at Mt. Cheaha State Park.  Online I found an article about her in 2012.  I just emailed her at an old address I kept from 2005, but  no answer yet.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2013
                Thanks, Mike. It will be on the updated list, soon.

                Audrey and I saw Caroline Dean early in 2011, and again with John
                Brown in July 2011. She will be 95 on July 7, and her son Bobby is
                living with her. The only email address I've known for her is
                Caroline Dean <deancar@...>; I don't remember ever talking to
                her on the phone.

                On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:37 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

                > A brief description was in the original list of the 6 seed packets
                > I sent, but here is the expanded version.
                >
                > Colonel Mosby, large orange-red (austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd
                > Confederate Series hybrid) growing near R. calendulaceum Flat Rock
                > Red, OP
                >
                > Col. Mosby is named for the Confederate hero Major Mosby, later
                > promoted to Colonel. It is a tall reliable bloomer with large
                > flowers and huge seed pods, a tetraploid certainly.
                >
                > Do you know if Caroline R. Dean of Opelika, Alabama is still living
                > and able to talk by phone or email? I thought of her recently
                > while reading the article about Mt. Cheaha State Park. We used to
                > correspond by email and I have kept all my emails well organized by
                > month in date order in text files since the late 1980s. I found
                > our correspondence from 2005 when she sent me her photo of a yellow
                > cumberlandense at Mt. Cheaha State Park. Online I found an article
                > about her in 2012. I just emailed her at an old address I kept
                > from 2005, but no answer yet.
                >
                > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                > Lexington, South Carolina

              • Tom Schuetz
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                  Returned from the Azalea Society Convention in Athens GA which had some outstanding properties on tour on Friday.  Had frost here in Mechanicsburg PA on Sunday evening which nipped early blooming small leaf rhododendrons PJM and April Blush. No azaleas opened yet, so no damage to them.

                  Tom Schuetz
                  USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)
                • Lightfoot, Paul
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                    On Saturday of the convention, my wife sent me a photo of snow on the deck. I think our low was 29, but only a few magnolias hurt much, since not much is out. It sure was beautiful in Georgia, though. I'm wondering if our azalea and Rhodo bloom season will be compressed with the late spring.

                    Paul Lightfoot
                    Upland, IN Zone 6a as of 2012

                    Sent from my iPad

                    On Apr 24, 2013, at 10:52 AM, "Tom Schuetz" <schuetz101@...<mailto:schuetz101@...>> wrote:

                    Returned from the Azalea Society Convention in Athens GA which had some outstanding properties on tour on Friday. Had frost here in Mechanicsburg PA on Sunday evening which nipped early blooming small leaf rhododendrons PJM and April Blush. No azaleas opened yet, so no damage to them.

                    Tom Schuetz
                    schuetz101@...<mailto:schuetz101@...>
                    USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)

                    The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the sender of this email, and then delete it from your system. Taylor University is not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.
                  • evelyn or david purdy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                      We had 24 F last night. No azaleas out yet, but r. dauricum blossoms didn't
                      lil\ke it. This is Omaha NE. Regards, Dave Purdy