Re: [AZ] Rock Garden 1/4ly

  • Don Hyatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2012
    Hi Larry,
    That article was basically a rewrite (by request) of the article I had in the 2011 Fall ARS Journal by the same name, "Chasing the Bloom".  Instead of rhodos and native azaleas, I focused more on all the other wonderful wildflowers in the same region.  I had about 500 images in the hour-long PowerPoint program I gave at the ARS Convention in Asheville last May, so it was easy to find some other pictures. The Southern Appalachians has such a wealth of plant material!   I do take several thousand photos down there every year.

    The ARS Convention is the same weekend as the North American Rock Garden Society convention in Asheville this coming May, so I can't do both.  Believe me, I'll be down there again after the ARS meeting in Seattle.   Peak for the native azaleas and rhododendrons at the upper elevations will not be until the second to third week in June.  Larry, you'll have to go hiking with us sometime.  When I first joined the ARS in the late 1960's, Fred Galle asked me if I had ever seen the natives.  I admitted that I hadn't, and it took me many years before I could get down there to see them for myself.  I rue the years I wasted!  That was Fred's passion, and it has become my passion, too. That area is just perfection!  I'll attach one of the pictures they didn't use in the NARGS article, Engine Gap along the Appalachian Trail.  This is about a 30 minute walk from the car on a gravel path... easily attainable by old fat people like me.

    I have almost given up on my own garden.  What the deer and rabbits don't eat from above, the voles devour from below.  I try to keep some things alive to admire around my home from day to day, but even so, I realize that everything I have grown here since a toddler will be trashed by developers when I finally sell the family home.   I have lived and gardened here for over 60 years!   Now I invest my time and effort in support of public gardens and natural areas, places we have a better chance of  protecting for all eternity.  It is a much better use of my time.

    Best wishes for the holidays and the year to come.

    Don Hyatt
    McLean, VA

    Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2012
      Hey Don nice picture. I am going to have to check the azaleas out one spring. Living here in northern part of Georgia , you can usually find numerous plants in bloom through out the spring. There is a large group of orange ones about a 1/2 mile from my house. I just wish I could tell them apart.

      --

      Larry Wallace
      Cincinnati